FABS 7 Pro Question

River Valley Computer

Reaction score
We have a brain fart going on this weekend. It's concerning FABS 7 Pro. Does FABS copy user folders that a user would put in the C: root directory? Can't find an answer on TN or FABS web page. When the client got his computer back from he claimed he is missing over 7 years of info that was on it before. Of course no backups were done by him. It came in with a crashed Win 10 OS. Thanks in advance. I think it's time for another beer (or 4).

Last edited:
By "user folders" do you mean he changed the location of the Documents, Pictures? Or do you mean he just simply made folders under the root of c:\ and stored data there?

AFAIK Fabs will use the location that Windows says the user files are in. IE if you change your documents to c:\Documents.
You can manually add additional folders when you do back up though.

I try to always look in the root of c:\ because I've seen many customers put data there.

Edit: I would also try to make an image of the drive before f I was going to wipe it and reload. So I would have a backup just in case.

No, by default it does not. You need to select that on the last page and choose the custom locations before clicking submit.

I’ve had to do it for accountants usually that save payroll files there. I’ve learned to check there from past experiences. Got burned before.

Last edited:
I try to always look in the root of c:\ because I've seen many customers put data there.

Yes - same. Users have no idea about folder structure or file location. If only based on the continual experience of talking end users through running a downloaded Splashtop connector:

Note - I always email the link to the download page since http://sos.splashtop.com is apparently way too complicated to verbally explain.

Me: "The connector automatically downloads when you get to the right page, so if you're using Chrome, it will be in a little box in the lower-left of the screen. If you're using Firefox, it will be a downward-facing arrow to the right of the address bar"
Them: "No, I don't see it"
Me: "Are you sure - it should be right there, maybe even pulsing a bit visually."
Them: "Nope - nothing there."
Me: "Ok, well, it's in your downloads folder, so just go there and run it."
Them: "How do I do that?"
......snipping out the 5 minutes of getting them to open the downloads folder
Them: "Oh, here it is on the bottom of the Chrome window!"
Me: "....sigh....Ok, just run it there, then."

During every Fabs run, look for random folders on C:\, C:\users\username, etc. etc. You always find some it seems.

Back