[REQUEST] Export OST to PST offline

Blue House Computer Help

Reaction score
I have a customer who has a 39+ GB OST (not PST) email backup from an old employer that they have a legal dispute with. They need to read and print the email, but of course Outlook doesn't import OST files without access to the server.

We can read the emails with the free XstReader, but not print. (We can even export them to html and presumably print, but he's not coping with that)

My thought is to export a PST file from the OST file and import that into Outlook.

1. Any good (free?) tools to do that? I see lots online, but some look rubbish/suspicious. I'm comfortable on the command line if that would help.

2. Given the fact that we only have the OST file, am I going about this all wrong? Any other suggested approaches?

TIA,

-Mike

Seem to remember Stellar has/had a tool to convert an OST to a PST. Maybe @callthatgirl knows of one. Just be forward about this. In the US that OST is the property of the company and I'd expect the same in the UK and most Western countries.

We purchased a permanent licence of OST2 Enterprise...and have used it quite a few times over the years.
There is a "free" version, I'm not sure what its limitations are...probably just shows you what it might be able to recover, or can recover X amount of megs...before you need to buy the full one.

I've seen Stellar "spam" too many forums....so always steered clear from them.
OST2 is made by 4Team.biz, that makes a lot of other decent tools for various email

If this legal dispute is something before the courts, or will be, the "discovery process" is where a lawyer can request a copy of the email. That's the proper legal way to get that email.

In other words, if your client is serious, he needs legal advice. As pointed out, since he is no longer employed, that OST would be considered privileged information.

Be careful when dealing with data that doesn't belong to your client.

I am with them on requesting from the old company through a legal request but I would still look into options as depending on how they respond you may still need and may still be able to use the OST despite the legal complications with ownership of that data.

We have the Stellar convertor. Only used it a couple times over the years but it works. Can mess up the folder structure but all the important content (ie. messages) should be recovered.

If I remember correctly the free version only lets you convert the first 5 or 10 messages per folder. Just enough that you can verify the program works.

Back