Explaining to callers you don't do break/fix

Archon Prime

Reaction score
I don't know how many times I've had to tell callers we don't do break/fix. I've been slowly, but surely moving away from break/fix. Sticking with MSP, maintenance, data backup, Training, consulting and generic support such as data transfers, wireless/wired setups, virus removal. There is nothing on our site or service list stating we do break/fix, yet keep getting calls like : My computer's hard drive crashed. Can you get it replaced? Which in turn we'll respond with we can do the attempted data backup and put it on an iso for you to move over to the new drive, but we don't carry hardware, etc.

If one of my current clients needed this done, it's not a problem because they understand I don't do this full time, I could order the drive on amazon or pick it up from a vendor in town that I'm friends with and can spend a few days on it if needed.

My site clearly shows the services we provide. I understand most people find me on Google maps and don't even look at the page. So question I'm getting to is, those of you who are moving away from break/fix or have already done that, how do you go about position your info on your website or on phone calls so you don't sound like a complete moron? lol

Honestly it is going to happen. I don't mind doing break fix but quite honestly it is very little of my work naturally. I spend most of the time doing new system upgrades, consulting and doing project work. Granted I still have it listed on my website and it helps to fill in the gaps when times get slow, like now for instance.

I think in your case, I would just be polite and decline the break/fix work for new clients and try sending out a newsletter to remind them of the services you do. Some people forget and others just don't read lol.

For that job your a referring to I would upsell to an SSD if possible. Heck I rather be doing the consulting stuff and all that, but the break fix keeps me sharp sometimes.

Ya this was a new caller, not a current client. If it was, I would most likely do it for them anyway, all depends on the problem. I guess I could have said sure I'll take a look and do diagnostics to see exactly what's what. But honestly, I don't have the time haha. I just feel bad sometimes trying to justify myself as to "why I don't do break/fix when i'm an IT service provider" lol

Nah don't feel bad, because at the end of the day you are making a transisition and you want to be consistent with it. That includes turning down work you would have previously done before in favor or something you are targeting now.

I don't know how many times I've had to tell callers we don't do break/fix. I've been slowly, but surely moving away from break/fix. Sticking with MSP, maintenance, data backup, Training, consulting and generic support such as data transfers, wireless/wired setups, virus removal. There is nothing on our site or service list stating we do break/fix, yet keep getting calls like : My computer's hard drive crashed. Can you get it replaced? Which in turn we'll respond with we can do the attempted data backup and put it on an iso for you to move over to the new drive, but we don't carry hardware, etc.

If one of my current clients needed this done, it's not a problem because they understand I don't do this full time, I could order the drive on amazon or pick it up from a vendor in town that I'm friends with and can spend a few days on it if needed.

My site clearly shows the services we provide. I understand most people find me on Google maps and don't even look at the page. So question I'm getting to is, those of you who are moving away from break/fix or have already done that, how do you go about position your info on your website or on phone calls so you don't sound like a complete moron? lol

Yeah, I'm doing a lot of filtering now, some things I just don't want to get into because they are too tricky. if they have a touchscreen they need replaced, no. If they have a ultra thin or msft surface, with hardware issues, no. I just refer them to a competitor and hope they think of me when they get a virus next time.

Last edited:
Could this be turned into an opportunity? I know you don't want to deal with it, however, instead of saying "No", why not say "Yes!" and refer them to a break-fix outfit you trust and preferably get a little 10-20% kick back for the work?

This way, the customer has been given a solution (instead of forced to search on their own) and you can potentially get some profit for the referral.

just double your prices and triple the turnover time then you won't have to say no. Or look at your pretend calendar and say you can probably squeeze them in next week or the week after. I know that works well with our local dentist.

I don't really know what people have against it.

Why do IT firms like service contracts? - because they are long term in nature.

I have long-term break-fix customers from the last 10 years. High income people. No problem paying. Yes, its true not all break-fix customers are like this but after a while you get a dam good idea of the quality of the customer from just one phone call.

Secondly, break-fix customers make for great "experiments" I would much rather handle a tricky problem I've never seen before a random person's computer. Then when in front my long-term customers - I look like a complete genius. All thanks to a random caller.

Last edited:
I don't really know what people have against it.

Why do IT firms like service contracts? - because they are long term in nature.

I have long-term break-fix customers from the last 10 years. High income people. No problem paying. Yes, its true not all break-fix customers are like this but after a while you get a dam good idea of the quality of the customer from just one phone call.

Secondly, break-fix customers make for great "experiments" I would much rather handle a tricky problem I've never seen before a random person's computer. Then when in front my long-term customers - I look like a complete genius. All thanks to a random caller.

I still do break/fix as the bulk of my work and I enjoy it - but I can understand why people have branched away from it towards managed services.

With managed services, there's a regular steady income, more security in the future, less crazy customers to deal with that need their computer repaired by yesterday for the cheapest price, etc.

Break/fix is in decline due to tablets and mobiles being able to do the two main things that people want - internet access and email facilities. It's only going to get worse as their laptops and pcs that are getting old die or become slow - and they just chuck them out rather than replacing them. Income is varied and long term, break/fix is difficult to predict.

I like break/fix and I'm still busy (mainly because there's not many people left doing pc repairs in my city - so I pick up customers that used to use other techs). I do worry about whether I'll still busy with break/fix work in 2 years time though.

I agree with @phaZed I'm sure their would be other repair shops that would welcome the referral. I know I would! (and have ;))
10~15% extra income for doing nothing other than referring them on sounds good.
Seems like an opportunity to make extra money going to waste.
My .02

My site clearly shows the services we provide.
I have to say, I don't see anything on your site to suggest that you don't do PC repairs. You only specifically refuse "screen or hardware repairs for laptops, smart phones or tablets" and go on to quote on-site and in-shop prices (above the fold).

If I was looking for a PC breakdown service and you were local, I'd call.

just double your prices and triple the turnover time then you won't have to say no.....

This never goes well in my opinion. Your shop/brand gains an undesirable reputation. Most of my current work for businesses started when I serviced the president/CEO/Controllers personal equipment at home. So many are not happy with the support/price/etc. that they have at work for IT they ask me to quote in. Even in very large corporations with large IT departments I've been asked to come in and personally setup, explore, explain the workstation to some managers because of the work I've done with them personally (and corporate background).

There is nothing on our site or service list stating we do break/fix, yet keep getting calls like : My computer's hard drive crashed. Can you get it replaced?

I think we can all agree most people are clueless about their computers. They do not know the simple difference between hardware or software. They are just as lost when it comes to their home wiring, plumbing or automobiles.

Most people are also inherently lazy. How many people have you met with new cars that never bothered to RTFM? All this documentation taking up half the glove box and they still can't program their radio or seat memory. Do you remember the displays of 95% of the worlds VCR's relentlessly blinking 12:00 12:00 12:00?

They gloss over your Web page, see the word IT, pick up the phone and call you.

Agree. I guess people are almost always going to see you as the local 'computer guy', whatever you put on your site. Most people get as far as 'Is this a computer guy?' followed by 'Is he near me?' If the answer to those questions is 'Yes' - they'll phone. As others have said, I wouldn't be personally too keen to turn work down, even if it's not what you're looking for (With the exception of anything starting with 'i-', of course). The lady whose virus you removed might just have a partner whose company is looking for a new IT support unit...probably not, but you never know!

Reactions: GTP
we don't do break/fix
Sticking with MSP, maintenance, data backup......
Technically, they fall under each other. If you maintain a computer and the HDD is failing, what do you do? Surely you would not refer the client to another company right?

Let me edit here and add that I don't do break/fix either. However, money is money. I have people calling me all the time for things like screen replacements, HDD replacement, etc. I don't say no but simply quote a price, do the work, get paid.

Last edited:
I'm rather surprised at all of this. I like doing break/fix - best way to learn about hardware. Unless you just don't want to pick up a screwdriver anymore.

Exactly.

Break/fix work is the oil the keeps your skillset updated with the latest cloud services, operating system updates, security threats, gizmos, etc.

When you do get that high-pressure call to fix the laptop of a CEO, more likely than not you will have seen the problem before and you will be thanking your lucky stars that one week previous you came across the exact same problem on a break-fix job. And guess what? - you know the exact solution to implement.

Of course, like with everything, do break-fix work in moderation. But, to totally refuse break-fix work altogether, that means your learning has stopped. And when your learning stops in this game ( like with any other profession these days)...you might as well retire.

Lol, what are you complaining about? I got a call yesterday asking if I repair VCRs! And yes, that literally happened!

Back