Excel freezing up randomly but not when run in /safe mode

DonS

Reaction score
Hey all

I have a work station where Excel is completely freezing up the computer randomly, daily. Complete lock up that it has to be rebooted. User noted the issue would occur randomly - during saving, while simply scrolling, etc.

Troubleshooting taken:
  1. Had user run Excel in safe mode for a week. Excel never froze up in /safe mode
  2. Assumed bad add ons or extensions, but none are selected or running.
  3. Ran full office 365 repair. No change.
  4. Other uses in the office use the same excel files with no issues
Any thoughts on what direction to look at next?

I appreciate any input and thank you in advance.

I'd be trying to do a repair on Windows itself. Not knowing what version of Windows is being used, I can't get more specific.

Windows 10.

I would not assume an issue with the OS, since it is Excel only and the issue is resolved when put into /safe mode

What do the event logs say and what makes you so sure that Excel is the cause of the problem when the whole machine locks up, especially when reinstalling Office makes no difference?

I know you've said that the issue is resolved by running Excel in safe mode, but it's really rare for application software to lock up the whole OS and you need a bit more information before concluding that it's just Excel at fault. A basic hardware test (RAM, hard drive and CPU temperature under load) wouldn't be a bad place to start.

Last edited:
First off I would suggest either you remote in or onsite if you have not already, so you can see first hand.

Is this file shared over the network in the actual office or a VPN? If so it may be the one user specific with their access and network.

Though have you tried to Clear Conditional Formatting first?

As others have stated -

Yeap would test HDD with CrystalDiskinfo
Then use MemTest to test the RAM.
Check temps on system as as to rule out overheating.

Last edited:
Hey all! Thank you for all the suggestions. Since its after the weekend, I will be looking again at the computer in question today or tomorrow. I will follow up with results. Thank you all again

(also, no, no MBAM installed)

1) I will check to see if it is 32 bit or 64 bit install of office
2) Will double check the SSD and RAM. It is a newer build, so was not my first go to, but was on my list

Install 32 bit, this is a common problem when using 64 bit.
Not a great fix, but sadly true. This means there's an add-on in Excel that hasn't been updated to be used with 64bit Excel. Which is to say, its devs are useless, and it shouldn't be used anymore.

BUT... there are a ton out there that are stuck. Old versions of Acrobat are huge in this space. Update them and the problem goes away, along with a ton of security risk.

Install 32 bit, this is a common problem when using 64 bit.
Sorry for the late response. Customer's associate in question went on vacation. However, have confirmed it was a 64bit version. Uninstallation of 64bit and re-installation of 32bit version has resolved the issue! Thank you for the fix and all the suggestions!

Back