Ever see this SSD before?

Diggs

Reaction score
I just stumbled across an SSD I have never seen or heard of before. It was in a 10 year old Dell laptop and am led to believe is OEM. It has the name Xcel on it. 128 GB 2.5" form factor (pic below). It was failing and wouldn't boot in a customer's laptop. When I imaged it and pulled data it transferred data at SATA 2 speeds which is weird for an SSD. Plus the thing weighs a ton. By far the heaviest SSD I've ever encountered. A little brick. (Things that make you go hmmm....) Even with screws removed it doesn't want to open ... yet!

xcel200_ssd_2.jpg

@add - The cover was glued down on the caps with silicon glue. Maybe using as a heat sink??? I half-expected to find a little 1.8" HDD with FLASH caching but it turns out to be a true SSD, just old.

Attachments

• ssd-1.jpg
    ssd-1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Impressive power loss protection supercaps, at least it's what I assume they are.

Last edited:
If it came from Dell it would have a Dell part number on it. This is a pretty old device from 2011. Most likely whoever bought the laptop installed or had an SSD installed. You can lookup the serial on Dell's site and view the configuration it shipped with.

It's a brick cause it's ancient!

But yea if Dell sold it the labeling would reflect that.

I've only seen one of these in my life and it was in an old Dell too! Maybe Dell used these in a limited fashion before they secured a contract with Samsung.

Back