Driver issue

GTP

Reaction score
I have a clients HP i5-AW009AX laptop in the workshop.
I recently upgraded it to 32GB ram, 1TB M.2, 1TB Adata SSD (mounted in the DVD Slot) and Windows 10 Pro (via MS Anytime Upgrade)

Yesterday the client tried to connect/project it to an external monitor via the HDMI port for a presentation, but it failed.
Nothing showed up in Windows settings/display so doesn't give the option to set up an external display.

I checked the Device Manager and noticed that both entries under "Display" had yellow/white question marks. Properties for both reported that "This device has a problem"
and "Windows has stopped this device because it is reporting problems."

So I thought just update the drivers.
First stop SDIO.

SDIO reported that "this device needs drivers but they are not available in any driver packs."

So then I uninstalled both entries, checking the box to "delete the driver software..."
and rebooted to let Windows redetect them.
After the reboot and going to Device Manager it said exactly the same thing.
So repeat and rinse, then run Windows Update to see if that would do anything. Sadly no, same result.

Ok next stop AMD. Went to AMD Drivers & Support, ran their "Autodetect" tool which promptly found and started to install the updated Adrenaline Drivers.

Restarted and had the exact same issue. AMD Control Panel reported "No AMD Drivers installed."???

Ok, I thought, I'll manually download the drivers for the particular chipsets. They were shown as R7 M430 and R5 M320 in Device Manager.

Downloaded and installed, same result.

Last stop HP Support/Software and Driver Downloads. Downloaded the package for the chipset (April 29 2016) and installed it.
Rebooted and it worked perfectly. Picked up the HDMI test monitor in my workshop instantly.

interestingly the chipsets were now showing in Device Manager as R8 M480 and R7 M440??

Just goes to show that "newer" is not always "better!"

You could just firstly turn off auto detect hardware then, goto DeviceManager>THE DEVICE>Properties>DRIVER> Then select hardwareID and copy the id into a browser. This will tell you what and where to locate the driver.
Yeah, thanks @frase. I'll remember that for next time. ;)

I've had several issues with Win 10 drivers needing to be older versions.
One touchpad would only work with the "Microsoft" default.
Worked perfect........go figure.
I turned off driver updates.

I use Unknown Devices which does a pretty good job of identifying "unknown" stuff in Device Manager.
Got an HP lappy on the bench with several "Unknown Base System Devices."
Turns out to be Ricoh Memory Stick, Card Reader Controller and Ricoh xD Picture Card Reader Controller. ;)

Back