Dell XPS 11 won't go past Dell logo

JoeTech

Reaction score
I have a Dell XPS11 9P33 model laptop and found it had a bad mini-pci e ssd drive in it. I ordered from this website that said it was compatible.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=22401

I took out the old one and put in the one I ordered and installed windows 10 just fine and it activated. I then was doing windows updates when it blue screened and I saw something about a power state failure before it shut down. Now when I turn it on, it gets to the Dell logo screen but if I press f2 for bios or f12 for startup, it never goes anywhere. I remove the ssd and then I can get to bios just fine.

I can't boot from any bootable usb devices and being a mini-pci e ssd, I don't have any separate pc's here that I can hook it up to and test the new hard drive or reformat it. I don't know what else to try right now and wondering if there are bigger problems then just the ssd at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Dell XPS11 9P33 model laptop and found it had a bad mini-pci e ssd drive in it. I ordered from this website that said it was compatible.

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=22401

I took out the old one and put in the one I ordered and installed windows 10 just fine and it activated. I then was doing windows updates when it blue screened and I saw something about a power state failure before it shut down. Now when I turn it on, it gets to the Dell logo screen but if I press f2 for bios or f12 for startup, it never goes anywhere. I remove the ssd and then I can get to bios just fine.

I can't boot from any bootable usb devices and being a mini-pci e ssd, I don't have any separate pc's here that I can hook it up to and test the new hard drive or reformat it. I don't know what else to try right now and wondering if there are bigger problems then just the ssd at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

I had a similar incident and behavior with a new asus, I'd bet its the new ssd.

The problem is that I can't boot from any usb device and being a mini pci-e ssd, I don't have a different computer that I can hook the drive up to so that I can reformat it to reinstall windows 10.

If I remove the pci drive then I can boot into a windows 10 PE from my usb. I'm thinking it is the hard drive and might have to return it and try again. Thanks Seabass for the link, I think that will be useful for this job and future problems when this type of drive becomes more common.

If I remove the pci drive then I can boot into a windows 10 PE from my usb. I'm thinking it is the hard drive and might have to return it and try again. Thanks Seabass for the link, I think that will be useful for this job and future problems when this type of drive becomes more common.

yea kinda what I thought since you couldn't even get to the bios or boot options.

Back