Damaged bootmgr file

lcoughey

Reaction score
I've got a case where I got a full clone of the patient drive, all but 8 sectors all within the bootmgr file. Is there a way to quickly rebuild, repair or replace the file? I'm not 100% sure which OS is on there, but I belive it to be Win 10, 64 bit.

If you get the info on explorer.exe the version will let you figure out exactly what version you have. Using a copy of course, I'd try booting from the appropriate version of W10 installer and see if I can do a startup repair.

If you get the info on explorer.exe the version will let you figure out exactly what version you have. Using a copy of course, I'd try booting from the appropriate version of W10 installer and see if I can do a startup repair.
But since he is a data recovery person, the question is if he has the machine it came out of.

But since he is a data recovery person, the question is if he has the machine it came out of.
That's why I mentioned startup repair. I haven't tried resurrecting a machine in ages. But do remember that startup repair had helped. But I think I was on the original patients each time. At any rate I'd give it a try as long as the underlying platform was similar. As in DT to DT.

Determine Windows Version and Edition Off-line:

- connect patient HDD to host PC
- open Regedit, click HKLM then File\Load Hive
- navigate to patient Windows\System32\config\Software and hit Enter
- give the loaded hive a distinctive name, e.g., SABO_HKLM_SW
- navigate to Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion
- in right pane, see version and edition details
- Unload the imported hive when done

I figured out the version of windows, based on the properties of kernel.dll. I have the computer, the defective SSD and the clone copy of the original SSD with 1 single damaged file.

The OS immediately loads to the errror message and never allows me to do any safe mode repairs without booting from a windows 10 installer USB. all attempts to fix the boot through the installer and through command line do not work. Even an upgrade/repair install won't work.

My work around is to do a fresh Windows 10 install to get the boot partition working, then I will overwrite the new OS with a clone of the original OS, hopefully putting them back in business. I should know shortly.

I much prefer to just do data recovery and leave the OS repair to the technicians who specialize in that. However, the deal breaker for this case is that they need a bootable system or they won't pay for the recovery.

Back