[REQUEST] Damage Cable

Velvis

Reaction score
I have a cable that is reporting pins 1 & 8 are not connecting. It's a long in finished ceiling cable that probably was damaged during renovations going on.

Is there a way to determine where the break may be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Time Domain Reflectometry is magical technology and everyone should have a chance to play with it at least once, but it's not pin-point accurate and you're probably going to have to replace the entire cable anyway.

And next time put two cables in for when the first one breaks! Cable is cheap, installation is expensive.

Pins 1 and 8? In the networking world they run in pairs. So it would be 1&2 and 7&8. At any rate the nickle solution to the dime problem would be to tape on two new cables, as @Computer Bloke said, AND pull string to one end and start pulling. If you have a TDR device it will give you and idea of how long the run is.

The amount of time(and billable labor) you can charge for fixing the drop can be done cheaper redoing the drop. Not your fault that it was broken. Just run a new one.
7bb11de07826d43d372b31a27b02f7a1.jpg

So I found this...Is there any reason anyone would ever wire like this?

7bb11de07826d43d372b31a27b02f7a1.jpg

So I found this...Is there any reason anyone would ever wire like this?

Because they are lazy amateurs. You can tell the solids are slightly different shades so it's from two different boxes. Who knows why, could be any number of reasons. Electrically it will work, I've used those dolphin connectors to patch a damaged cable until it could be properly taken care of.

It was probably accidentally cut or damaged and this was the more simple fix instead of running a whole new wire.

Wouldn't it be better to terminate each end and then use a coupler?

If this is the source of the problem and you don't want to (or can't) run a new cable just put a jack on one and a plug on the other. Problem solved. Not pretty or very professional but certainly better than that monstrosity.

Edit: Oh, snap!

Yes. That is actually "allowed" so to speak though usually it's a keystone on one end and an RJ45 on the other. I've been in several sites where the rack(s) were moved out of reach of the existing service loops. And that's how they handled it. Pulled all of the cables from the patch panels, termed with keystones and then RJ45's to punch down at the new patch panel location.

Of course it would be better! This looks like it was fixed by somebody who either doesn't understand signal loss, didn't care, or didn't have access to a coupler.

I'll share a trick with you guys.

Whenever I suspect a cable problem I reterminate the connector ends before anything else. If it is a patch cable I don't replace the connector, I simply recrimp it. If it is a patch panel with a Keystone connector I just use my punch tool to reseat every wire. With the style of connectors the OP posted you must cut them off and recrimp.

Rarely did I ever find a cut wire or issue that wasn't caused by a poorly installed connector. Same with fiber.

I'll share a trick with you guys.

Whenever I suspect a cable problem I reterminate the connector ends before anything else. If it is a patch cable I don't replace the connector, I simply recrimp it. If it is a patch panel with a Keystone connector I just use my punch tool to reseat every wire. With the style of connectors the OP posted you must cut them off and recrimp.

Rarely did I ever find a cut wire or issue that wasn't caused by a poorly installed connector. Same with fiber.

That's a lot of work when a cable tester with a built-in TDR function will provide a ton of information as to the approximant location of the issue.

Back