Convert Dell Express Service Code to Service Tag

You're supposed to be able to type "wmic bios get serialnumber" at the command line to get the svc tag # on a Dell, but I've never had that actually work.

I'm curious though ... why did you find yourself needing it?

...or you could just use the Dell Service Tag Scanner ;)

I was exchanging emails with a customer who was totally incapable of identifying her laptop. The only thing she was clear about was that it was a Dell. So I tried to get her to send me the service tag. Instead she sent the express service code. Rather than prolong the unprofitable exchange I decided to find out if I could use it to identify her laptop.

So that's why I needed to do this in the first place. And why I couldn't use the dell service tag scanner.

I've been using app called Dell Service Tag (finder) for a few months and love it... especially for systems that have the service tag stuck on the back.

It shows ST and express codes... wouldn't be great help for phone support though.

Google Samuel Haddad. I can't post links yet:(

You're supposed to be able to type "wmic bios get serialnumber" at the command line to get the svc tag # on a Dell, but I've never had that actually work.

I just tried this on my Dell Inspiron 1526 laptop with Vista, and it works :) I tried it on XP and Windoze 7, also works...

BUT, if the motherboard has been replaced, the Service Tag field will be empty, unless the Tech takes the time to reprogram it, and that rarely happens...

wmic is a Windows Mgmt Interface command in the C:\Windows\System32\wbem directory. If the command isn't working, the wbem.exe file might be missing from that location.

This isn't a Dell-specific utility, it works on any unit... I tried it on my clone-zilla box, and that field wasn't filled in, the response told me...

Last edited:
Back