Computer Shuts down randomly

ClickRight

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a client with a VERY strange problem. Windows 7 Pro, all updates installed. Clean -- no viruses or malware.

Client's complaint is that the computer shuts off randomly, even when in use.

It's never a hard shut down or crash. It is as if they are going to Start and selecting Shut Down...

I have turned off the soft off on the power button thinking it might have been loose.

Checking the event log, event ID 109 - ""The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition." and 1074 --"The process C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\shutdown.exe (BOB-PC) has initiated the shutdown of computer BOB-PC on behalf of user Bob-PC\Bob for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x800000ff
Shutdown Type: shutdown
Comment: "
are logged at the time it is shutting down.

Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before?

Hi All,

I have a client with a VERY strange problem. Windows 7 Pro, all updates installed. Clean -- no viruses or malware.

Client's complaint is that the computer shuts off randomly, even when in use.

It's never a hard shut down or crash. It is as if they are going to Start and selecting Shut Down...

I have turned off the soft off on the power button thinking it might have been loose.

Checking the event log, event ID 109 - ""The kernel power manager has initiated a shutdown transition." and 1074 --"The process C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\shutdown.exe (BOB-PC) has initiated the shutdown of computer BOB-PC on behalf of user Bob-PC\Bob for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
Reason Code: 0x800000ff
Shutdown Type: shutdown
Comment: "
are logged at the time it is shutting down.

Has anyone seen this type of behaviour before?

Does the keyboard have any kind of power or sleep button? If it has a sleep button is that set to shutdown the computer in control panel? Have you checked tasks?

Does the keyboard have any kind of power or sleep button? If it has a sleep button is that set to shutdown the computer in control panel? Have you checked tasks?

No, just your basic Logitech K120 keyboard. Power and Sleep buttons are both set to "Do nothing" in the control panel.
I checked tasks, and even went through and ran them all. No shutdown.

hmm nothing else in the logs around that time period? any consistency to the time it occurs?

No. Totally random times. Can't seem to relate anything else that's happening with the machine.

It would help to know what hardware.....
Gigabyte B75M-HD3
i3-3240 CPU
4Gb DDR3
400W Antec PSU
1TB WD Black Hard drive

We have a LOT of these out there, no problems with any others.

Replace the PSU and see if the problem goes away.

Funny, I brought a PSU out with me yesterday but when I saw that it wasn't crashing and actually shutting down on purpose I discarded the idea. Might be worth a re-visit.

MB caps? CMOS battery voltage out of circuit? Tried different KB and mouse?

MB caps good. CMOS battery good. I haven't tried a new keyboard/ mouse as what they have seem to be working fantastic.

Usually random shut downs are ram, mobo caps, or PSU. I find that also, when replacing a PSU, choose something that has a large single rail, from Antec, EVGA, Corsair, etc.

Run a system monitoring tool like HWMonitor or Speccy. If the mobo sensors measure too much heat on a CPU or GPU it can cause the OS to initiate an orderly shutdown just like you're experiencing.

If it isn't related to the power button, it must be software-related or the motherboard. Might have to nuke & pave.

The PSU can't initiate a controlled shutdown. Most replies here are missing the vital info about the controlled shutdown sequence being initiated, not just crashing of powering off.

Some programs and UPS systems are designed to be able to shut down the computer. If it's not just losing power or BSOD'ing and it's actually shutting itself down, then it's a software problem. I'd run it through some stress tests and even leave it on overnight with a live Linux booted to see if it still shuts down. The BIOS can also be programmed to shut down the computer on specific days and times. Check that out too.

kernal power is certainly capable of issuing a controlled shutdown for various hardware situations i've read about it when thinking about event log entries to check for in GFI but i've never seen it happen and if I recall correctly its suppose to actually say the reason in the event log.

The idea that "a large single rail PSU is better than a multi-rail PSU" is a myth.
Antec say so themselves. Have a look at their mythbusters page
http://antec.com/PSU/index.php

They can say that all they like. I'm just stating that I've personally experience systems shutting down that used multi rail power supplies. When I changed it for one with a single rail, never another issue. So for me personally, that's what I use 90% of the time.

Reactions: GTP
They can say that all they like. I'm just stating that I've personally experience systems shutting down that used multi rail power supplies. When I changed it for one with a single rail, never another issue. So for me personally, that's what I use 90% of the time.

Ive seen that as well but I read an article that talked about multirail psus prior to 2008 had design flaws that causes the issue. I dunno how long its been since i've run into the issue its been a while.

I've personally experience systems shutting down that used multi rail power supplies. When I changed it for one with a single rail
That simply means that the mult-rail PSU was under powered. Sing-rail PSUs are more forgiving in regards to 12V current output because multi-rail ones have their 12V power split between different rails.

Ideally the PSU should have multiple 12V rails to help prevent damage if there is a short in one component, but you need to check the max current output of each 12V rail to ensure it's enough for CPU and GPU and you need to ensure the GPU auxilary power connector comes from a different rail from the CPU and motherboard.

It's a shame that single-rail PSU designs have become more popular because in recent times the CPU and GPU draw less power and the lower current rating of split rails would rarely be an issue.

Back