Computer migration/transfer procedure

I don't know if you're serious or not, but FABs doesn't "lock you" into anything.

If you purchase the one-year you'll get whatever updates may occur for one year, but it's my understanding that the software continues to work, sans any improvements, even after that year is over. I'm sure @fabs can refute me if I'm wrong.

The 3-year option only extends the length of time you will get updates, and for a slightly reduced price per year.

But no matter what, I believe you have a functioning tool "as functioning at the point of its last update" for as long as you want to use it in that state.
All of this is absolutely correct. There's no "lock" of any kind

So is the typical use to run it off a usb stick?
I run it from an IODD that also includes another excellent/brilliant piece of software by another active member of these forums.
It's called Windows Repair Toolbox by @AlexCa
WRT allows you to have many many of your own scripts, portable programs, reg files etc etc etc in a custom folder. (In my case I have about 120 ish)
I just put the entire Fabs folder in WRT and go from there.
WRT is free but of course if you find it useful show Alex some appreciation :)

Fabs is a great program for migration. I'm also testing one from Carifred.com.

I'm also looking at PCTrans from EaseUS. This one claims to be able to transfer programs as well.

Hi,

We run a computer repair/MSP shop and we have always been doing our computer transfers manually and i am wondering how most people do it.

Very often we will remotely connect to the old computer to gather information: We will take screen shots of the old computer for things like desktop, printers, installed programs, outlook/thunderbird layout, quickbooks company files paths, and much more. Then the user can keep using their computer while we prepare the new with software installs etc....

Then we have them bring us their computer (or we go onsite) and we manually copy the user folders and all other custom folders that might be in use. We finish installing any remaining software, printers etc... on the new computer reconfigure all the software so it points back to the right path and often spend from 3-8 hours per computer getting it replaced and made and exactly like the old one did with all data and settings in place.

I was searching on this forum some and seen Fab's Autobackup which i might check out it seems like that might save some time. I did also come across SIW program that could be useful in exporting list like product keys, applications installed seeing the file shares etc....

We have about 5 technicians and do several transfers per week.

How do others do it?

I do it manually as well. I know there's a lot of positivity regarding FABS but I don't trust automation when it comes to data and I've always done it manually.

I'm not sure why it takes you 3-8 hours to do this though. Usually I bill for 1 hour in the shop to unbox it and "prep" it. If I know the client well enough and/or have remote access to their old system I might pre-install stuff like printer drivers, quickbooks, login to their office account. I do some of this because I hate sitting in front of a client while they have me try 15 different passwords while I'm begging them to just please let me reset it. Actually, I just hate sitting in front of clients period.

Then when I get onsite I immediately start transferring data typically by removing the hard drive out of the system and hooking it up directly to the new system. Some may say this is risky but I've never had an issue. Transfers are much faster through my USB 3.0 adapter or directly through SATA. This is the part that takes the longest so it needs to start immediately. Actually the part the takes the longest is the clients trying to remember their passwords.

While the data is transferring I install all their stuff on the new computer. Occasionally I will need to plug the old computer back in if I missed something but I try to take thorough screenshots prior to unplugging the old computer.

While onsite I'll upsell them on cloud backup and AV, patching etc.

Total labor ends up being about 2-3 hours with two of them being onsite. I might throw some extra time in there if I know the client will hassle me after the install for dumb stuff like changing their background.

I will then typically hand the client their hard drive and tell them to keep it for a couple months, and take their old computer back to my shop and put it in the Ewaste pile. I charge $25 per computer to drive it a quarter mile from my office to the local ewaste center.

Last edited:
Back