Client lost admin account to GMail business tenant for one of their domains

YeOldeStonecat

Reaction score
So I have a client who I've had for a few years, moved their email from on-prem Exchange to 365 a couple of years ago. Their admin comes to me a few weeks ago, they had 1x volunteer who had an email address for some additional domain of theirs I never knew existed. She said he needed to buy more space...for storage, and I was like "Since you're non profit, let's just give him a free E1 account...move his stuff there...and now we have easier control and it's free!"

She has control of their domain registrar, there's no website, just a single email account on this oddball domain of theirs. So I can just whip up a new zone in LiquidWeb and point this domains nameservers there...I'll have already added this domain to their 365 tenant, make that mailbox...and we're good! I can copy the data from this guys email mailbox and g drive storage...over to 365.

The last step would be to log into this Google tenant and cancel/close/delete it. I feel it will need to be deleted, else...my experience with mail servers is, if there is a mailbox with some domain on it, even if you flip the MX record to point mail for that domain elsewhere, the mail server itself still things it owns that domain is that mailbox is still local. So if I don't delete this account from GSuite/Gmail, when I move the MX to 365, people sending to this domain from a GMail based mailbox will have that email still land in the "dead" Gmail tenant.

Anyone here a GSuite reseller that has access to support....that might have suggestions for me to do a "reclaim" for this tenant...like an admin password reset? The original setup was done many many years ago, and my client has gone through a few office managers, and a few prior IT people. We reached out to the IT people that I took the client from, of course they said they never setup a GMail for them so he couldn't help me. If there was an alternate email or phone number tied to that tenant admin account...who knows what it was...but not the current office manager.

Back