[TIP] Best Program Uninstaller?

Appletax

Reaction score
My choice: Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable

-----------------------
What's your favorite program uninstaller?

I have been putting Geek Uninstaller on customer's computers.

I am thinking about buying the portable Pro version of either Geek Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller and putting them on customer's PCs - they support unlimited computers.

I am sure that goes against their rules, but I suspect it will work regardless. Bad part is that the customer probably will not have access to the next major release that I purchase. Of course, I've never seen anyone bother to upgrade the free version of Geek Uninstaller, so maybe it doesn't matter. I don't know.

My thoughts:

Geek Uninstaller
  • Super basic interface.
  • Has force removal.
  • Works with Universal apps - not a fan of how you have to switch the view to see them as I think less computer savvy people may not ever notice it
  • Not very frequently updated. Does not currently mention support for Windows 11.
  • Pro version will monitor your installs for better scrubbing of leftover files.
  • Portable Pro version can work on an unlimited number of computers - wonder if you can put it on customer's computer? I am sure that against the rules.
  • Cannot remove browser extensions.
  • Pro version is a one time payment and you get all minor revisions. New major releases you must pay to upgrade to (50% discount for previous version owners).

IObit Uninstaller
  • Rant - super annoying. Loves to display pop-ups. Loves to advertise. Loves to try to get you to install other programs. Only way to stop this is to disable the UninstallMonitor process. Reminds me of AVG and Avast! trying to push paid products. This s-h-!-t is cancer for your PC lol.
  • Very nice, modern interface. Probably the best of them all.
  • No force removal that I can find.
  • Has a bunch of extra sh!t we don't need. Not a fan of that - should just stick to being an uninstaller program.
  • Can remove browser extensions.
  • Programs are nicely organized (all, bundleware, logged programs, recently installed, large programs, etc.)
  • Need Pro version for deeper removal of leftovers.
  • Pro version is a subscription.
  • IObit seems to have a less than fantastic reputation.

Revo Uninstaller
  • Outdated interface.
  • Gotta have Pro for deeper removal of leftovers, ability to uninstall browser extensions, and force remove.
  • Best thing is that you can buy the portable version, activate it 1x, then use it on an unlimited number of computers.
  • I am sure you can put the portable Pro on customer's PCs without issue, but it probably is against some rule.
  • Pro version is a lifetime subscription, but you have to have a subscription to get updates.

Wise Program Uninstaller
  • There's no Pro version. You get everything in the free version.
  • Reviews state that it can miss some leftovers.
  • Has force removal. Can remove Universal apps. Has organized views of programs (all, Universal apps, system components.)
  • So far appears to not run in the background. No annoying pop-ups.

HiBit Uninstaller
  • No Pro version.
  • Developed by a single person, which kinda worries me as I think it'd take a team to make something like this. Then again, the dude that makes Apollo for Reddit on iOS makes a killer app all by himself, which blows my mind.
  • Seems to be updated fairly frequently. Supports Windows 11.

Last edited:
I will use an uninstaller for my own use on a client's computer but.... I will not put on one for clients to use. They can keep using programs and features. Safer, less chance for them to screw something up.

It bothers me bad that Windows leaves behind crap post-uninstall.

I would make a link called "Uninstall Programs."

Windows doesn't leave ANYTHING behind, it simply does as it's told. It's the uninstall script that's incomplete, which means whatever you're uninstalling is to blame... not Windows.

I use Rivo and ONLY when I have no choice due to issues and usually as directed by the stupid LOB app's support. Otherwise your risk damaging the system more than leaving behind the cruft!

I didn't respond last night because I wanted to see if my initial reaction, which was, "Why in the hell would you ever want to do this in the first place?!!," on a machine where the end user can get to it was shared. Apparently it is.

The best uninstaller is the one meant for the program, and they almost always work. For certain programs, generally security suites, were failures of the uninstaller are kinda-sorta common, or at least way more frequent than they are for typical uninstallers, the makers of said suites all have dedicated "force uninstallers" that can be run afterward if needed.

I've used Revo and other force uninstallers very infrequently. I can honestly say that my total use is less than 10 times over many, many years.

Just like I stick to the appropriate source when it comes to drivers, I do precisely the same when it comes to uninstallers. It is only in very exceptional conditions where a force uninstaller should be needed.

I'd never leave a force uninstaller "lying around" where a random user who has no idea of the disaster they could wreak if they use it incorrectly were to find it and actually try "button pushing" usage. ::shudder::

Windows doesn't leave ANYTHING behind, it simply does as it's told. It's the uninstall script that's incomplete, which means whatever you're uninstalling is to blame... not Windows.

I use Rivo and ONLY when I have no choice due to issues and usually as directed by the stupid LOB app's support. Otherwise your risk damaging the system more than leaving behind the cruft!
I think the point is while using the "built in" uninstaller artifacts might remain. Recently while troubleshooting an Outlook problem I used M$'s special M/O365 uninstaller. I still had some folders left over like Outlook even though they were empty. It's annoying to me as well but I just ignore it.

It's annoying to me as well but I just ignore it.

Yep. And, for myself, artifacts that have no "active effects" are not particularly problematic, but I still don't understand why those installers do not tidy up things completely. It really makes little to no sense. If the installer created it, the uninstaller should remove it.

Yeah, if you really want to know what's going on you compare snaps. Still... that's a ton of work and usually not worth it.

But I've had to do that for some LOB apps from time to time.

It bothers me bad that Windows leaves behind crap post-uninstall.
If you want to be technical, it is the program uninstaller leaving stuff behind. I swear this comes from an era when you'd install a DLL into Windows, and then every uninstaller was AFRAID to remove that file for fear of breaking something else and being blamed for it.

If Windows is blocking it, it is because the file is actually in use; Anyone who writes software will watch for it and trigger a reboot for removal (Anyone else remember when Microsoft said no more reboots? lul) -- Again, probably not happening.

The bit that frustrates me, is the bloated registry. I swear no one cleans up their impact on the registry once done.

I used to use Revo for the longest time... Biggest beef I have with most uninstallers, is that they fall into one or more of 3 categories:

1: Have to install it before installing any apps. That way it can monitor what the app puts on, so it knows what it can remove
- I've seen instances where this method has destroyed client data because they uninstall and reinstall because app is malfunctioning, and the uninstaller doesn't realize the app put data in a place it wasn't supposed to, the client chose to put the data somewhere dumb (Lets store it all inside the Program Files folder!), or the app straight out ate it for fun.
2: Database-style removal. It knows what is installed because it has witnessed it elsewhere and knows what it has put on.
- This method only removes what was put in place during install; It doesn't clean up any new regkeys or files the app makes later
3: Brute force method. It simply deletes EVERYTHING inside the Program Files folder, Program Data folder, %localappdata% and %appdata% as well as the common places apps put their registry keys in the registry, for that app.
- I find that this is just as problematic as #1

#1 is the only method that actually seems to clean most, if not all, even with the caveat. Edit: And #1 essentially negates itself being used as a tech tool.

I pretty much stopped using uninstallers. If an end-user is an install/uninstall monster or just installs EVERYTHING they find, they WILL need a reload of Windows at some point. I have through my years, experience and testing, found no "Uninstaller" does a 100% job; Even 50% of the job.

They do have their place, and if an end-user is smart enough to have an appropriate uninstaller installed before their first app, all the better on them.

Should you be giving an end-user an uninstaller unsolicited?. Heck no! You will invent yourself more work doing this (likely free if they realize the app you installed did it). And the benefit over using the app's uninstaller is mostly questionable.

And please, don't touch IObit anything anymore. Their legitimacy and integrity has been questioned many times online. Some other sites have flat out banned its members from suggesting to use their tools. I've seen them "sideload" some real gems over the years too (Think on the level of how SlimWare Utilities/DriverUpdater end up on computers).

Also, in being technical, back in the past when I had uninstallers that left things behind, they often were files and entries that were in use, and there would be a new task created to clean those up after a reboot because the files were in fact in memory. So, much of the so called errors or laziness of an uninstaller is just a technical issue related to how computers work and someone didn't reboot like the uninstaller told them to. (I'm hugely guilty of this)

Back