Backup Software Macrium Reflect Free version to be discontinued.

I've really liked EaseUS ToDo Backup Free, and it's UI is way easier for "the average user" to deal with than Macrium's is.

I've really liked EaseUS ToDo Backup Free, and it's UI is way easier for "the average user" to deal with than Macrium's is.
I've used their products in the past, but I just can't recommend or trust free Chinese software these days. My unpaid backup "go to" is to have my clients buy a Western Digital external drive and use the free WD branded Acronis that can be downloaded from the WD site. It doesn't come with the drive, so you have to look for it, but it will work with any of their externals, and has the same features as the full priced Acronis from a few years ago.

I actually pay for 4 Macrium licenses but I have to agree that it's not very user friendly.

Macrium has always had a "professional user" focus much more than one for "the great unwashed."

Sadly, at least for the backup side, it was accessible using a screen reader, so it was my go to for blind users who needed to establish a backup protocol and wanted to be able to do that and run it afterward independently. In the age of ransomware I never recommend keeping backup media connected and having backups run automatically unless you are someone lucky enough to have ultra-fast internet and are backing up to the cloud. That's not descriptive of the vast majority of my client base.

I've used their products in the past, but I just can't recommend or trust free Chinese software these days.

Not that I don't understand your position overall, but when a product has been in the marketplace for years, and has a reputation of its own, I don't worry as much.

No matter where the company is located, it's not in their best interests to screw over their user base (whether for free or paid versions). Since my client base is almost entirely residential, there's also very little reason to believe that any legitimate company has any interest in "skimming their data."

I still use EaseUS myself because I can't see enough (note both 'I' and 'enough') reason to bail. Others will, of course, feel differently.

Over the years I've found Reflect to be the most reliable cloning and imaging software out there (except 1:1 cloning using ddrescue). Replacing it isn't that easy for me. I have no issue paying for licenses but at this point would just need the Home version for $70 giving four seats. Not bad pricing.

Back