"Avoid virus tips" handout to customers

one tip i give clients is if there are on a website and it flashing install this update now! dont! chek with us. as it could be ok or it could be scareware

Paul

I would probably add a line that states . . . . while free anti virus/anti spayware are good they do not do self updates and self scans.

I've come across clients that want the free stuff and I have to educate them on the difference between free and paid

Sounds like a great list to send to my clients/networking friend/email marketing/blog. Could actually generate some biz!

Many folks don't know what may of those things are and I will add in that a comptuter cleaning session would help with answering some of those questions.

So is the first post the "best one" to use with all the add on entries?

I'd run it through a Spelling and Grammar check before sending it off to any clients ! I already noticed a few errors ('Facebbook' for one).

Nice list. Good to see the community contributing

Classic Kazaa was good back in its day. Until it got over-run with '0day files' that contained nothing but malware.

Maybe add a section on shortened-URLS? A bit.ly URL could take you anywhere in the world ..

Yes, the first list is updated with all the parts that I wish to include, however you may add/remove as you see fit. :)

I ran it through a spell checker ( UK English) but I'll check on the facebook part. :)

I have this available on my site as a .pdf & .doc ready to print out for customers that |I think maybe suitable candidates.

I'd be interested in Lisa's thought's on how to generate business through this though?

I wouldn't do this.

1. IF the customer gets a virus after they might either..

blame you

be embarrassed and call someone else

not get any more viruses!

You maybe improve the return rate of customers who have less problems now or cost yourself money. It is not win/win it is lose/lose. Give that sheet to your grandma not your customers.

Computer HQ handout

This is something I put together to hand out to customers (see attached image)

It does leave a lot desired- but it covers the basics (in my opinion).

Anything that seems to be critically missing?

Attachments

• Virus Safety.jpg
    Virus Safety.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 291
One thing that I think this needs is telling users to click the red X for popups instead of clicking a close button.

Recently I formatted a computer because it wasn't worth it to remove the virus. As I was letting the user go through their normal routine to show them everything was ok, I watched in horror as they clicked a Close button on an obvious (to me) malicious popup and immediately went back to square one. Thankfully since I was standing there I was able to counteract it immediately before it got too much worse...

Hello,

I've tried this method under various different guises...

Unfortunately, sad to say.. you may educate the person who picks up the PC.. but generally the other users in the house don't even get to see the document...or just don't think its important.

I've decided not to do it anymore because if something happens to a PC.. and they say.. well you didnt include it on the document... then it opens up a different can of worms...

Instead of giving info out like this.. we've come up with a better idea, preventative maintenance contracts..

We basically install certain types of software, using /silent command line parameters, set to run at a certain time each week..(or if missed, when it is next switched on)

They pay a monthly retainer, so I'm guaranteed X amount each year from them.. which would work out higher, then an occasional visit.. yet it gives them piece of mind that we are there for them if and when something happens, at no additional cost (software only).

It's not right for everyone.. but is a good business model.

Example of it here

Ben

Last edited:
Good post and good to see so many get involved. I do not think it will hurt business at all in fact it will demonstrate the extra service you get when you deal with smaller, more knowledgeable companies.

1: Install an Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware program. Be sure to keep this up to date and do weekly full scans.

I think you should instead say "Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware program.
Also, I think Opera web browser is great. It may not be as user friendly as the others, but it works well with the anti virus programs.

On the back of my business cards I put 5 safty tips for people. I kept it very simple. Things like dont open email attachments, keep your software updated regularly, use long passwords, etc etc.

I find that all do not follow any tips or suggestions, or keep on demand scanners updated etc. Along with regular computer or disk maintenance in that regards. We all know when we service the computer if a few programs that we might of installed and explained how to use, and "check for updates first" etc.... like Spybot, Spywareblaster or Malwarebytes if the program has been updated since our last visit.

So as far as you'll be getting less repeat customers when handing out "tips for prevention...." is not going to happen with probaly 98% of them.

had one customer i serviced,,2 weeks later she called, "I'm infected again" told her "geeeeez, i installed 5 layers on protection on that desktop, and your telling me it went thru all of it,,,, hummmmmm, of I'll recheck it for you". Asked her does anybody else use this desktop (kids??) she said no, "i just use it for business". When I returned the desktop to her, she asked me to check/service her laptop (said it's not running right). got back home with it, would not boot, got it to boot, and the first thing i seen on desktop were shortcut links with the word "Nigeria" within the links!!! called her up and asked her about those shortcut links,, she stated... "oh thats where my business is at"!!!! her laptop was so badly infected had to re-install the OS. Of all places, Nigeria! and to top it off, the business she is in is a "Pyramid-networking" type of business selling video phones to!

So they are going to do, what ever they are going to do,, they going to click what ever is in front of them with no regards to safety.

yes, i do hand out and explain "tips for prevention", feel it's party of my job

First off... Great guide! I had a much smaller and less detailed one so I am adding yours to it! With some tweaks here and there and I think it is helpful, shows the customer that you care and that you are looking out for their best interests. You aren't cheating yourself out of any customers. Even the people that I have trained pretty well who really try to stay safe still call.

As you said, there is no way to be 100% safe. I don't think that will come back on you. I deal with a lot of older people and part of my deal is sitting with them and showing them this stuff. They know and I tell them that with every security measure there are tons of people out there who will find a way around it. That's just the way things are and they understand that. Thanks for posting. I'm sure many of us will add this to our arsenal of info.

I'm glad that you find it useful.

I started out with this by myself BUT with the help of the forum we have come up with what I believe a good guide for all computer novice's.

This is nice, thanks, I took a copy to add to some things I give out to clients sometimes. One of the things I do for my clients that are nice is give them a free Quick Reference Guide for the Microsoft product they use most.

http://www.customguide.com/quick_references.htm - check out these handy free reference guides, the cusomters love them, especially if I just helped them sort something out in Excel and then give them a nice color reference guide for free - helps with repeat business a little. Go the extra meter and it comes back a mile.

Back