Asus R541N

BO Terry

Reaction score
I have a client with an Asus R541N Notebook. It came to me last week after they were unable to turn it on. They got a low battery warning, moved it to several outlets, and finally it just turned off. I had it for a few days and was able to charge it consistently. It did immediately start a Windows update when I first got it powered on and connected to wi-fi so I thought possibly between the low power and a weird windows update glitch could have started the issue for them. I plugged it into the UPS on my workbench vs them plugging directly into a power outlet but that shouldn't make a difference beyond better practice. The charger is a super basic one with the "brick" connected to the plug vs in the middle so nothing to reseat. Their charger worked fine here. One test I did while here was I ran it all the way down without being plugged in. Left it drained/unplugged overnight and plugged it back in the next morning. It immediately started charging, no problem. Several reboots, unplug/replug and each time it registered the charged and showed "charging" each time.

They got their laptop back yesterday and used it for a few hours on the battery last night, no issue. This morning after using it for a bit, they got the low battery message again. They tried multiple outlets and it would not start charging. The outlets are working because at least one they tried was the same outlet they have another laptop plugged into.

Any idea why this would happen? Pending failure of some sort?

I'd assume the power brick is on the way out. The charging circuitry in the laptop needs a minimum voltage to engage. If the brick is spitting out that minimum voltage... simply going home is going to change it. The base number of volts in their wall sockets is very different than yours, especially if you have a line interactive UPS or greater in the way. If for whatever reason at home the brick is stuck spitting out just 1v less than tolerance... it won't work.

And well... chargers are cheap, so it's a quick and dirty thing to swap.

Back