Anyone with direct experience with the Epson EcoTank ET-3850 Wireless Color Multifunction?

britechguy

Reaction score
Let me preface this with:
1. This is intended for home use (my home, in this case).
2. I do not print thousands upon thousands of pages.
3. Much as I'd like a color laser printer, it's not practical for the space I have available - most inkjets are smaller.

I have been using Canon printers for many, many years now, but my latest one has given up the ghost. One of the things I liked about Canon was that inks came in their own dedicated tanks (as opposed to using tri-color cartridges) on the models I've owned and there were tons of third-party makers of refillable ink cartridges, which I what I've been using (and refilling myself) for years, too.

But now Epson has something that is, for me, even better: the refillable ink tank that has much greater volume than any single ink cartridge. This looks to be less messy and the need to add ink less frequent. In addition to what comes with the printer itself, which is not insubstantial, I have large commercial sized bottles I've been working from as refill stock.

I'm mostly interested in the general print quality, whether the document feeder works and holds up, and whether the whole unit itself has proven reliable. They're on sale right now at Costco through this coming Sunday, and I'm trying to decide whether to snag one or not.

I don't know if the existing big bottles you have would work properly for the Epson. I think their refill bottles are pretty reasonable. One thing I've noticed is that the printers are on the low-end of the scale. I remember making a comparison when they first came out. The unit with the ink tanks was $300 and what looked like essentially the same model printer with regular cartridges was $100.

I've installed a few of the Epsons for clients and have seen clients who have them and they seem pretty good.

I don't know if the existing big bottles you have would work properly for the Epson.

Inkjet ink (at least the dye-based color stuff and dye-based black) is inkjet ink. I'd have to transfer it from the bulk bottle into the one with the correct filler spout for the EcoTanks after I'd emptied the original.

Thanks for the info that what you've seen is that they're generally behaving well and a decent printer.

The higher up-front cost is due to the bundled ink (or lack of ongoing cartridge purchases), not due to them being more reliable. The printer might only last, say, 3 years, so for light usage the bundled ink might not be used before it gets thrown away. A cheaper cartridge printer might have the same expected lifespan and in that period the total cost of ownership might be cheaper, especially if using generic ink.

I wouldn't recommend it. It's a scam. It has a sponge area where it cleans its nozzles. The printer calculates when that area is full - and when it is, it stops working, and there is no simply "changing the sponge" or cleaning it out... you have to buy a new absorber for almost the cost of the printer. The consensus is it's a 2-3 year printer.

Canon's actual answer:
When the message changes to indicate that the waste ink absorber is full, printing cannot be performed and the printer may need to be serviced.

We are aware that there are many "do-it-yourself" web sites that offer instructions for making this repair. Replacing the ink absorber is a complicated and potentially messy procedure. Even if the ink absorber is successfully changed, the ink absorber counter must be reset using a software utility that has not been made to the public, as it is proprietary software.

If you are able to find someone locally, please keep in mind that the costs associated with having this service performed may exceed the cost of a brand new printer.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

Stick with Brother printers myself - they don't seem to have this "insurmountable problem" that Canon has built in as planned obsolescence.

@phaZed

But the specific unit I'm asking about is NOT a Canon machine. I just want to make that clear.

The issue with the waste pads getting "full" is not new, that's for certain. I had one where this occurred, but only one. I can't remember if I found a clever way around it or not. That's quite a while back.

Same deal. The scumsuckers. Lol, totally read right over the word your wrote "Epson" - wow, what a day.

Suppose you would have to research if it's all of them, or some, or what.

Back