[TIP] Acronis True Image Highly recommend

roborobs computer repair

Reaction score
Just did a HDD clone to SSD from a 500GB HDD to a 750GB SSD Took around 15 minutes. This was the fastest cloning I've ever seen. The HDD was actually experiencing some read/write issues causing the computer to bluescreen. The Crucial SSD drive came with the license for Acronis True Image. Once complete all data was verified and device was FULLY functional. I will highly recommend this to anyone needing to replace their HDD.

Reactions: GTP
I generally Use Acronis TI although the last version had a Task Scheduling bug that recreated empty folders on the partition selected for the Task, and also created those folders on every USB device connected!

In the end I had to stop it starting automatically on my machine, but just one thing to be aware of, just in case.

I generally Use Acronis TI although the last version had a Task Scheduling bug that recreated empty folders on the partition selected for the Task, and also created those folders on every USB device connected!

You may have answered something that's been bugging me for a few months now.

One of our workstations whenever USB storage is connected an empty folder named "gghf" is created in the root directory.

I don't use Acronis but it's installed on that workstation and may have been used by another of our techs.

It bugged me for months too - it even stuffed up a satnav that I mistakenly connected to my office machine! :rolleyes:

In the end I trawled through the Acronis support forums/Google and this was mentioned. Ever since I stopped background services - no more problems.

When I backed up the machine last month so had to start all Acronis services again - back came the empty folders!

That's what we've been mostly using for decades....all the big hard drive manufacturers gives a "free" version for Acronis TI, to clone their drives.
Seagate, Western Digitial...free downloads..for almost 20 years I've been downloading and using them to clone drives.
Western Digitals version
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=119

Seagates
http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

Crucial..they give you a sheet of paper with a license with each SSD...I have a stack of a dozen or more of 'em over the past 2 weeks. I keep putting bunches of hte key up in a post in the other forum for people to grab.

I've tried all the cloning tools out there...and a few more most never heard of. For upgrading clients hard drives, I find Acronis works great, and whenever a new version comes out...you just download it from the drive manufacturers website. This way you always have a current version with optimal compatibility with new driver controllers out there and drive technology.

It's pretty quick...but most of the "speed" of a clone has to do with the health and performance of both drives, as well as whatever "bus" you're cloning over (we use a Dell Precision workstation with top notch driver controllers and a Xeon CPU). yeah..it can be fast. Boot from the CD( and not from within Windows) SSD to SSD can be just a few minutes.

Back