[REQUEST] ACPI BIOS Error (bug):

Napoleon

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm looking for some guidance on how to solve this problem.

My cousin gave me two old laptops, both with Windows 7, full of viruses and many other issues. Here are the specs:

Computer 1:
Toshiba Satellite A305 - AMD64/ 1.3Ghz / Dual Core / 32-bit / 3GB RAM / Windows7 Ultimate SP1
Issues: web cam not working / volume rocker on the front panel not working propperly / overheats and shuts down after about 20mis or so / charger cable was soldered into the motherboard / battery drains after 10mins on full charge.

Computer 2:
Toshiba Satellite A305 - Intel Celeron/ 2.0 Ghz / CoreDuo / 32-bit / 4GB RAM / Windows7 Ultimate SP1
Issues: Battery not working, NO CHARGER....so I charged the battery of Computer 1 and put it on computer 2 just so that i could see if it even turned on to see the specs...I turned it off and as soon as I did, it started updating which I really hate. It was on about 44% progress and it got shut down because of the battery draining so quickly.

At the moment I didn't think much of it because since it was in a better shape, I was planning on formating it and installing Linux Mint on it. So I went and bought a generic charger, came home, burned my Linux Mint ISO onto my USB drive and booted off it.

As soon as I tried to boot, it got the error message:

ACPI BIOS Error (bug): \_SB.PCI0._OSC: Excess arguments - ASL declared 5, ACPI requires 4 (20170831/nsarguments-198)

So I tought, OK, it's an old computer so maybe the hardware is not supported. Then I tried other Kubuntu and LinuxLite which I tought it would be supported since it's meant to be for old computers but still could not install it. After seeing the distro logo it restarts by itself.

I checked the BIOS version and it was 1.5. On computer 2 the BIOS version was 1.6, so I tought maybe I need to update the BIOS. I went on the Toshiba website downloaded the most recent BIOS update which was 1.6 so I updated it.

Ran my Linux Bootup USB, still same error.

I grabbed computer 1 and I was able to install Linux Mint succesfully on it. So that meant that the ISO was burnt onto the USB drive correctly.

By the way, after the sudden shutdown on computer 2, now windows does not work, which I knew it was going to happen. I tried some tools on HirensBootCD but still would not fix windows 7.

And because I'm new to Linux and curious to know what would happen, I switched hardrives, I put the hard drive with Linux Mint, on computer 2 and viceversa. Turned computer 2 on, got same axact error message right after Toshiba's logo at bootup, then it restarts by itself.

Feeling defeated by an old computer, I just tried to install Windows 7 again or at least repair it. After the "Loading Files...." message I saw the windows logo...was feeling..."happy" (I guess)...and then...computer restarted by itself..again.

So, if anyone can point me to the right direction, I would really appreciate it. I tried almost everything I could think of and I feel defeated.

I don't understand, I would think that because in a way it has better resources, faster CPU and more RAM I would have no problem taking Linux Mint, and the computer with less RAM slower CPU had no problems taking it. In fact, this post I'm typing from computer 1 with Linux Mint on.

I don't think the sudden shut down, interrupting the windows update had to modify the BIOS? And, I don't think it's because of the generic charger?

I'm sorry if this post is way too long, but I just wanted to tell you guys verything I've tried to fix. Maybe some will think it's not worth stressing over junk computers lol.

Thanks

Back