Access point suggestions for personal use - Can two APs have the same wifi name and password?

I guess each to his own. (I disliked the WRT54Gs as they always overheated when flashed with DD-WRT so I wouldn't use them for customers.) Most of my Netgear experience was with older models and they seem to last forever. Their insistence on using online configuration put me off a while ago though. In turn, I've had good luck with TP-Link stuff in the residential sector and still have some TP-Link routers around unopened.
I like TP Link switches as well. I see a lot of Netgear and TP Link switches in B2B environments. One company I do work for uses the ProSafe GS105E to manage QoS for VoIP. Small sites, maybe up to 15 VoIP handsets. Another uses the TP-Link TL-SG1008MP for PoE for AP's in group housing, like students. If I don't need anything special I'll usually get TP-Link for unmanaged GB switch.

TP-Link is my quick grab for something dirty and needs online now. Not good, but so cheap that it doesn't really matter.

Sorry but I don't agree. Switches have been great. But the rest - routers with AP's as well as cable modem are an issue. The last product I used from Netgear the worked flawlessly was a WRT54G

Agree on the little pro switches - I've had good luck with them. I got a customer that came with 3 x 24-port managed netgear switches. I thought they would be trouble, but they were just fine until a power surge took out 2 of them at once (along with a UPS). Haha on the WRT55G - those things were bulletproof, I swear. I would have never considered putting DD-WRT on a customer unit, though. Homelab stuff, sure - but not for customers.

For residential installs, we've had good luck with Asus wifi routers for the last couple of years.

For networks, you usually just want 1x router. Having another router behind a first router...can either lead to double NAT'ing (which...by all means, you want to avoid), or..if you uplink from the LAN port of the 2nd router, you need to change it's LAN IP to be in the range of the LAN side of the primary router, and ensure you disable DHCP on the second router. Lotta work and cost for a..."not really the way to setup a network".
What is wrong with Double NATing? I do it all the time when I connect two datacenters with subnets that overlap.

What is wrong with Double NATing? I do it all the time when I connect two datacenters with subnets that overlap.

Ick, yuck. and puke.
Well, OK, when done with PROPER biz/enterprise grade gear....it "can" mostly work fine.
I run across it more with SOHO/residential grade crap, that doens't do NAT well. I'll start with the first thing...troubleshooting staff "work from home VPN" back in the day when VPN was relevant. VPN stacks do not like to be molested by NAT. If you double tag team the VPN...it often gets cranky. I'd be able to retire if I had a nickle for every "double NAT'd home setup" I had to reconfigure properly (aka BRIDGE the ISP gateway)...so the staff of my business client could VPN from home. Nutgears and DStink and Stinksys and TPStink and...(etc etc)...resi grade routers do not do it well, combined with testy VPN adapters....yeah, it's a mess. I just never see a legit reason for double NAT'ing...network can be setup properly better split up from the edge, if multiple internal networks are needed. Let the edge device drive that.

Last edited:
Ok, back to OP for a second.

Plugged in new netgear router to a wifi disabled laptop via the supplied lan cable (into one of the 4 lan ports).

Was able to go to routerlogin.net to access and setup the router via the web interface no problem this way.

Set to AP mode, plugged it into live ethernet cable - working like a charm!

Longevity? We will see!

@LordX It'll last effectively forever, unless you have thunderstorms regularly.

My issue with the device isn't the longevity, it's the ability of that class of devices tends to not be able to hold bandwidth past 3-4 devices, then you start getting random disconnects and all sorts of "internet down" problems that make the phone ring.

Ick, yuck. and puke.
Well, OK, when done with PROPER biz/enterprise grade gear....it "can" mostly work fine.
I run across it more with SOHO/residential grade crap, that doens't do NAT well. I'll start with the first thing...troubleshooting staff "work from home VPN" back in the day when VPN was relevant. VPN stacks do not like to be molested by NAT. If you double tag team the VPN...it often gets cranky. I'd be able to retire if I had a nickle for every "double NAT'd home setup" I had to reconfigure properly (aka BRIDGE the ISP gateway)...so the staff of my business client could VPN from home. Nutgears and DStink and Stinksys and TPStink and...(etc etc)...resi grade routers do not do it well, combined with testy VPN adapters....yeah, it's a mess. I just never see a legit reason for double NAT'ing...network can be setup properly better split up from the edge, if multiple internal networks are needed. Let the edge device drive that.

Heck I have done double-NAT before merely because it was easier than dealing with incompetence from other IT folks...

This one time I was dealing with this idiot vendor running a Laboratory-Information-Management-System (LIMS) from an AWS environment to which we peered via a Tunnel.

They crazy irony is that THEY were running a web-server, which needed to be reachable on the Public Internet and needed ME to map one of OUR pubic IP to their Private IP in AWS. I always thought their piss-poor planning shouldn't be our problem, but I went with it.

Basically how it would work would be a member of the public would hit the website, which would find our Palo Alto firewall by our Public IP address from a CIDR block AT&T routes to us, and the firewall would then do a Destination NAT translation to re-write the packets to forward them to their webserver on the other end of the tunnel in AWS.

Of course this is where the story gets to double NAT network gymnastics... This idiot vendor I was on the phone with for much too long explaining that if said web-server answers, the network rules (i.e. routing table stuff) MUST forward the response back via the SAME tunnel, so it can go back to the damned Internet with proper un-NATING keeping sockets functional etc. and without asynchronous routing, incomplete TCP handshakes etc... had not the slightest clue how networking works. Idiot vendor could NOT figure it out how to just point a default router back at the IP on MY end of the tunnel.

I gave up and did a source NAT translation, too! I re-wrote the source of ALL packets I was rewriting the destination on going to said webserver to make it appear ALL were sourced from the IP on my side of the tunnel, so their webserver would ALWAYS reply back through the tunnel as if my firewall was the only website user!

It worked great until one day they kept getting locked out when a developer changed some code where three bad password attempts locked an IP :rolleyes:. Being only one (1) IP it just sort of broke the entire application.🤷‍♂️

By then they had this new fellow who was like, "we looked at the logs and ALL the IPs are the same. WTF is going on?" I was able to work with someone intelligent enough to make that observation.

The conversation went something like, "A: Well, yeah this one time in IT special olympics network camp, I threw my arms up in the air and said **** it..." In like 5 minutes new fellow was able to configure his end to do proper routing, and I removed the source translation... problem solved.

Last edited:
Back