A system shutdown is in progress

Steve202

Reaction score
I've got a PC on the bench and when you try and open a program, you get A system shutdown is in progress dialog box. Click OK and then nothing.

Computer works fine in Safe Mode. Ran Windows AIO repair, sfc/scannow says its found something and fixed some of them but doesn't tell me much else. If you open a command prompt and type shutdown -a, I get Unable to abort the system shutdown because no shutdown was in progress. Also when you press shutdown, the PC doesn't turn off.

It's Windows 8.1.

Not seen anything like this before, completely baffled me.

You could do a lot of sleuthing to try to figure out the offending issue, but at times like this I usually just do a backup & reinstall of the OS, or maybe just upgrade to Win 10 at this point.

In the past, I wasted a lot of time trying to track down the misbehaving program, but I don't bother that much anymore unless something obvious jumps out at me. Since you already ran the tweaking tool and that didn't fix it, a reinstall would be my next move.

It could probably benefit from it anyway, as that install is probably a couple of years old at this point.

I've got a PC on the bench and when you try and open a program, you get A system shutdown is in progress dialog box. Click OK and then nothing.

Computer works fine in Safe Mode. Ran Windows AIO repair, sfc/scannow says its found something and fixed some of them but doesn't tell me much else. If you open a command prompt and type shutdown -a, I get Unable to abort the system shutdown because no shutdown was in progress. Also when you press shutdown, the PC doesn't turn off.

It's Windows 8.1.

Not seen anything like this before, completely baffled me.
i notice the shutdown command uses forward slash for parameters rather than the dash. Having said that I just tried it and it works both ways so you can safely ignore all that

A couple of things to try:

kill the winlogon process by task manager or pskill

Sometimes, the issue is related to “Windows Modules Installer” service. When you open services.msc, the service is in stopping status.

You can run the command: pskill TrustedInstaller

A couple of things to try:

kill the winlogon process by task manager or pskill

Sometimes, the issue is related to “Windows Modules Installer” service. When you open services.msc, the service is in stopping status.

You can run the command: pskill TrustedInstaller

Can't get into services.msc as I get the shutdown pending message. I have queried the service using the command prompt and it's shown as stopped.

Did you check the Task Scheduler? The reason I ask is there could be a task set to shutdown on event. Did you check for infections?

What happens if you try from another log-on profile?
If that works, maybe create a new profile and copy over necessary stuff.
I've spent a lot of time on issues such as this, and now try a new profile.
If that doesn't work......back to square one!

Did you check the Task Scheduler? The reason I ask is there could be a task set to shutdown on event. Did you check for infections?

That didn't do anything.

What happens if you try from another log-on profile?
If that works, maybe create a new profile and copy over necessary stuff.
I've spent a lot of time on issues such as this, and now try a new profile.
If that doesn't work......back to square one!

Same thing happens with a new profile.

Ok, I've got somewhere with this. When the machine is connected to a network, that's when it starts playing up and I get the shutdown in progress prompt. I then have to restart the machine to get it working again.

The Event log starts to fill with the following when the network cable is plugged in.

LSAsrv
Event ID: 5000
The security package microsoft unified security protocol provider generated an exception. The exception is the data
google takes me to here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...y/075d4262-e477-41eb-8e24-ddb6210364a7?auth=1

which says the Lsasrv.dll file could be corrupted. you ran sfc didn't you? did you run chkdsk? does AIO repair look for networking repairs? else you might be looking at killing off the network stack and reinstalling.

Back