A good free pdf editor..

bdoggman

Reaction score
Tried to search with no luck. Does anyone know of a good pdf editor/viewer?
Thanks for any help

Another +1 for PDF XChange viewer. I've been using it for years with great results. Mostly I just use the typewriter function to fill in forms and whatnot, if they aren't the autofill type. I haven't bought the paid version, but haven't needed its features so far.

I actually bought Adobe Acrobat DC last month but just switched to PDF X-Change and I like it much better after only using Adobe products. I've been on the hunt for good and free PDF editing for years and nothing quite lives up to the expectations.

The caveat I'll add is that it depends on what you're wanting to actually do - if you want to do things like create fillable PDF forms, I'm not aware of any good free options.

If you're looking for that, PDFill PDF Editor is at least cheap, but it's not very polished. I've done a pretty substantial form in it (new patient demographics and health history) and may be able to answer questions if needed.

http://pdfedit.cz/en/index.html

Free editor for PDF documents. Complete editing of PDF documents is possible with PDFedit. You can change raw pdf objects (for advanced users) or use many gui functions. Functionality can be easily extended using a scripting language (ECMAScript).

Kind of a late post, but here are a couple of free/cheap options.

I've never used scribus much, but it's a free desktop publishing type app that supports pdf forms, etc.

scribus.net

Also, there is Pageplus from Serif Software. It's a great desktop publishing app that can do about everything (including PDF forms), but it is recently discontinued. Eventually Pageplus will be replaced by Affinity Publisher, but Publisher isn't available quite yet. For now, you can still get Pageplus licenses for a discounted $25. (used to cost $100).

Serif has made great products for very low prices, in the past. I'm predicting Affinity Publisher to be from $50 to $100 (at most), when it's released.

http://www.serif.com/pageplus/

The LibreOffice component LibreOffice Draw can edit PDF's quite nicely.

I loath anything with Adobe and .pdf in the same sentence. I set Chrome to read and display .pdf files and use LibreOffice if I need to edit or create them.

Reactions: GTP
Back