21H1 is released as an optional update.

This is a serious question: Is it actually under the View optional updates link in Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane?

I have never seen a Feature Update so hidden, though I've seen plenty that show up in the Windows Update Pane with a Download and install link once available, but where they won't go further unless that link is activated. Functionally optional, for sure, but I reserve the use of optional updates for those filed as such.

I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to make this switch. I have neither the conventional Download and install link, nor anything in the dialog that opens when the View optional updates link is activated. I'm just planning to keep an eye out for the "usual indicator" unless it actually has been moved.

Build 19042 to 19043... I see this is yet another minor update. So this one should have about as much impact as 20H2 did, that is to say... basically none.

When Microsoft actually gets around to real feature updates again things are going to explode!

It does not show up for everyone all at once. Got mine but a computer on the bench did not have it yet.

I do understand that. In fact, I'm constantly harping on the fact that these roll out in waves/cohorts, and it can (and often has) taken months between the initial release date and the final update cohort, and your machine can land anywhere in that time span.

What I meant is precisely what I asked: For those receiving it via Windows Update, is it still following the now-conventional presentation in the Windows Update pane, not hidden one further level down under View optional updates?

is it still following the now-conventional presentation in the Windows Update pane, not hidden one further level down under View optional updates?
Yes.

Yeah, but thanks to the changes post 1909, it only really happens if you click on it OR you're running out of support.

So we're going to be watching for machines on 2004 start to force update but that's not until December. If there are any units still on 1909 or older, they're going to start the forced leap to 21H1 now.

So be ready for phones to ring, the jump from 1909 to 2004 wasn't the rockiest by any stretch, but it did get some units. Anything that would have died there, will presumably do so going to 20H2 or 21H1.

Wait for October possibly.
Definitely. Sun Valley as it’s called is going to make major changes in the start menu and gui changes such as rounded corners, floating menus, changing some icons and apps that have not had a refresh since the Windows 95 days.

Definitely. Sun Valley as it’s called is going to make major changes in the start menu and gui changes such as rounded corners, floating menus, changing some icons and apps that have not had a refresh since the Windows 95 days.
I'm running the latest insider dev build. Starting to see some of this. Icon changes, the view of files in explorer has changed some for sure.

Back