21H1 doing weird things?

Diggs

Reaction score
A customer just brought me an older HP 6550b Probook with a Core i3. It had done it's 21H1 upgrade and was locked at .89 Ghz. Incredibly slow. I removed the 21H1 upgrade and all is back to normal. I also notice that I cannot delay updates. "Pause limit has been reached". I need to install current updates before I can pause again and the only update showing is 21H1 which causes problems. Hmmm..... I'm just sitting down to do my "due diligence" with Google and see what HP and others have to say.

I haven't had any issues yet but I've only done a couple so far. I am interested to see if others are running into issues though.

I haven't had anything untoward happen on this machine (i7) nor three other machines, two with AMD A12-9600P APUs and one with an ancient A6 APU. Haven't yet done the machine with the A8 nor my really, really ancient Intel Core Duo.

Done many dozens by now....probably more...haven't heard complaints.
Installs fairly quickly if doing the upgrade..15-20 mins (coming from 2009..I'm sure coming from older versions like 1909 would take much longer))....and haven't had issues. Did both of my rigs last week...no issues.

OK - Imaged the drive, ran DISM, ran all updates (except 21H1), then ran 21H1 and so far all seems well. Not sure what happened under the customer's watch (as we all know), but so far so good.

@add - In looking for a root cause I see the machine had undergone a full reset recently and the customer confirmed he had been "pushing buttons". The removed program list included a few Avast products with Avast antivirus being one of them and having a history of Win10 Update problems. In turn, I thought the 21H1 update occurred after the reset when Avast should have been gone. Things that make you go hmmm.....

Last edited:
I've done maybe a dozen so far with no issues. Mostly older hardware but a couple of newish ones.

Just did all mine (personal machines) as well; so far no problems, but mine are all NTLite custom builds from a modified 20H2 .iso.
So much better without the bloat. :)

Meanwhile my Linux PC's just updated to Ulyssa and the process was painless.
(laptop and a NUC) keep keeping on...

Last edited:
Back