XP Pro - No USB Keyboard or Mouse

Mike McCall

Reaction score
So, I'm doing 3 workstation (Dell Optiplex 360) upgrades from XP to Win 7 as a subcontractor for a sys admin. No problem getting by the passwords, but on the 3rd system I lose the keyboard/mouse when it starts Windows. They work fine in the BIOS, and restore console, but not once XP begins to start. Tried restoring from the console several times, but even when precisely following directions, the console doesn't recognize the commands, or cannot find the file. The reason I need in is because the client wants the keys. So, I'll keep trying but am open to suggestions. One thought I had is that it used to be that proprietary restore disks (like from Dell) were tethered to a specific machine. So I couldn't use your restore disc on my machine even though they were identical. Could that be the case here?

Yeah, moving the drive to a different machine didn't help. I followed the directions here at Tom's Hardware, but it made no difference. Perhaps the OS doesn't have service pack 3? Anyway, moving it to an 8.1 box upstairs didn't improve things as it's unable to load it as an external drive. It sees that it's there, but can't fully mount it so I can get into it. Magic Jelly Bean can't see it if the OS can't mount the drive.

I've found the same with the Dells running XP - those that don't have PS/2 ports!
In the past I've run a repair install of XP (remember the good ol' days when you didn't have to be able to boot into Windows to do a repair install?), to get past this.

However, since then I've found a Dell branded mouse and keyboard seem to work fine where others do not in this instance. I bought an old Dell mouse and keyboard for this purpose. Aaaand... when it gets really bad, I have a PCI card with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard port that I can use.

(BTW Mike, sorry for the delay - will get sorted tomorrow or Monday!)

I've found the same with the Dells running XP - those that don't have PS/2 ports!
In the past I've run a repair install of XP (remember the good ol' days when you didn't have to be able to boot into Windows to do a repair install?), to get past this.

However, since then I've found a Dell branded mouse and keyboard seem to work fine where others do not in this instance. I bought an old Dell mouse and keyboard for this purpose. Aaaand... when it gets really bad, I have a PCI card with a PS/2 mouse and keyboard port that I can use.

I've found the same, got a spare of each myself.

I learned to hate Dell for this kind of stuff in the '90's. However, I'm not sure this is a Dell issue.

So, I've managed to get the drive mounted on the 8.1 box and can access the drive. I've tried the free version of Magic Jelly Bean, but it's unable to see the drive at all. I have also tried Produkey which sees the drive and all files, but when I tell it to recover the keys from the Windows folder it says I need special permission. Tried running it and Administrator, but that didn't work either.

(Julian, no worries.)

Mike, try taking ownership of the Windows folder and see if that helps.

Yes, did that and still no go. So, I pulled the HD from my 8.1 box and installed the problem drive into the machine. Once I got past the UEFI in the BIOS, I get a BSOD after the XP startup screen:

0x0000007b (0cBA4C3524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Am currently here.

Booted into Gandolf's and again ran Produkey from there. This time got an error saying the file is corrupt.

Fortunately I received an offer for "Free Prepaid Cremation" from the National Cremation Service. I feel so much better now!

I'm in! But had to use fixboot to get in. That doesn't make sense to be, but whatever. Client is happy and that's what counts. Curse you, Dell!

FYI regarding XP and cloning and no keyboard and/or mouse once the GUI loads......I've run into that with XP in the past, but when we imaged a fleet of Lenovo ThinkCentre desktops. The keyboard used for the image build built was different than the keyboards used at the clients desks. Since we prepped the image with a password for the Administrator account, we couldn't get to desktop to allow plug 'n play to load it. So had to bring the keyboard we used at our office in building the image, to our clients office....plug it in to each computer one by one to get to log in and get to desktop and then swap keyboards and allow plug 'n play to load the driver for their keyboard.

USUALLY plug 'n play will load peripherals like HIDs just fine before needing to log into desktop....if you just sit and wait long enough. BUT...chalk it up to some weird combo of particular kb driver and particular chipset. Or perhaps the BIOS of the rig used for the initial image was not set for plug 'n play OS.

Anyways..just thought I'd note it here....happens to brands other than Dell.

Back