XP OEM to Retail?

bradyg23

Reaction score
I have a client with an expensive application running on a failing Microsoft XP Professional OEM system. It would cost about $8000 to replace the software. My goal was to virtualize the system and allow them to continue to run the software, but on virtualizing I had to activate, and I could not.

Can I purchase a Microsoft XP Professional RETAIL keycode, and then just run a keycode updater? At this point, I should be able to re-virtualize the system and re-activate it as the virtual system.

Keycode updater found at: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab03

Any flaws in my logic?

Last edited:
Pretty sure that you cannot use the Retail Code on an OEM installation.

What's failing on the machine? How about doing a backup and restore to dissimilar hardware using another OEM box. While not technically within EULA neither is the VM'ing of a OEM machine.

I have a client with an expensive application running on a failing Microsoft XP Professional OEM system. It would cost about $8000 to replace the software. My goal was to virtualize the system and allow them to continue to run the software, but on virtualizing I had to activate, and I could not.

Can I purchase a Microsoft XP Professional RETAIL keycode, and then just run a keycode updater? At this point, I should be able to re-virtualize the system and re-activate it as the virtual system.

Keycode updater found at: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/genuine/product-key#T1=tab03

Any flaws in my logic?

One thing I would try is to clone the drive and systematically upgrade the cloned drive to Windows 7 Pro and see if the software still works. Believe it or not, this works in many cases. However, you will have to perform the upgrade to Vista Business and then to 7 Pro, as an upgrade directly to 7 Pro will not work. I have actually performed this many times myself, when older software would not work on a newer OS and to my surprise, it worked!

The first time I remember doing this was when XP first came out. There were things in DOS, 3.1, 95, & 98 that I wanted to keep and the route of systematically upgrading worked like a charm! This is not a guaranteed solution, but if the software is that important to him, it is worth a try. I've had clients take the risk, knowing that it could result in failure. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even purchase a 7 license until I knew it will work (you have 30 days to active it), if you decide to go with this option.

If it were me, I would vitualise the OEM system, clone it and do some upgrade tests on the clones. If simply updating the key doesn't work, if I recall correctly, you can perform a repair installation using a pro disc to upgrade an XP OEM system.

Failing that, while I usually make every possible effort to keep software licensing fully legit and consistent, in situations like this, if there's no other option and I need to virtualise the OEM OS, I would just purchase the necessary licences and make it work by whatever means necessary (with the customer's consent of course). As long as the relevant software has been paid for, who's really gonna care, even if the COA doesn't match the installed OS edition? If this was Windows 7, I'd say do everything possible to make it fully legit -- phone Microsoft even and discuss the options with them -- but we're talking about XP, an EOL OS that won't be receiving any further updates from MS and (presumably) isn't even going to be used online.

Any flaws in my logic?
First, what is failing on the " Microsoft XP Professional OEM" system.
Can it not be repaired?
Parts should be in-expensive if needed.

Clone the drive....NOW! Before you lose everything!

I've ordered an XP Professional CD. When it arrives I will work with my cloned copy of the drive and see if we can either replace the key or do a repair install. The only drawback to a repair install is that the only disks I can find are SP2, which will mean having to upgrade again to SP3.

Thanks for all of your feedback. It really helps.

I've ordered an XP Professional CD. When it arrives I will work with my cloned copy of the drive and see if we can either replace the key or do a repair install. The only drawback to a repair install is that the only disks I can find are SP2, which will mean having to upgrade again to SP3.

Thanks for all of your feedback. It really helps.

Who is the OEM?

Im kind of in the same situation. Client has a very expensive and difficult program to setup.

I have virtualized the system and booted it with Windows virtual PC and it takes me to the activation screen. Now my questions are:

1. Is it possible to still activate Windows XP?
2. As the system I cloned used an OEM xp pro from Dell I guess I would need to activate it with an XP OEM Key, where would I obtain that today?

Any flaws in my logic?

I have a valid (and currently unused) XP Pro sitting on my shelf; you are welcome to the OEM product code if you wish, I won't be using it again......PM me if you want it.

Yes, XP still activates at least OEM. I just tried loading Dell XP Pro on a d610 and activated fine. But I switched to W7 because I was having driver issues. So I would just give it a whirl using the key off of the Dell.

The activation failed because it's trying to use the SLP key and is not finding the proper matching BIOS. You should be able to use the key on the OEM sticker and get it to work.

The activation failed because it's trying to use the SLP key and is not finding the proper matching BIOS. You should be able to use the key on the OEM sticker and get it to work.

Let me just get this correct:

Cloning a dell computer with a dell oem sticker to a virtual harddrive and then booting it to a virtual machine would be able to activate with that key even though the hardware is different?

Let me just get this correct:

Cloning a dell computer with a dell oem sticker to a virtual harddrive and then booting it to a virtual machine would be able to activate with that key even though the hardware is different?
No if would fail. But you should be able to change the key and input the key from the side of the machine. Note while TECHNICALLY possible, this is a VIOLATION of the license agreement. It is not legal to move this to new hardware, real or virtual. You can cover your actions by purchasing a retail license and simply not use the disk. Just because you can activate does NOT mean you are legally licensed.

The reason why OEM installations do not need to have key typed in during installs is they compare the SLP in the CD with the BIOS DMI information. It see's the correct BIOS so it just installs. Because you moved the installation to a new hardware layer, which Windoze detected on first boot, it flags the installation as not activated because of this. Using the OEM key off of the case usually works but, as @nlinecomputers said, it is definitely a EULA violation. And that is with Dell, not with M$.

Back