XP Install Loop on IDE SSD

newton

Reaction score
This may be a slightly nooby question but Windows isn't my main line of work so bear with me. I've installed a 32GB IDE SSD in an older Acer 3690 as it only needs to be used for one or two applications and doesn't need much storage space (is painfully slow at the moment though with OEM HDD).

I'm having bother getting XP (Home) to install though. The machine boots from the install CD and copies the setup files, but then does the same again on restart. The SSD is FAT32 formatted (initially from my MBP, but I tried a quick format again as FAT32 from the XP installer), as I've read this helps performance in this case (XP, small disk, no TRIM).

Disk jumper is set to master as the OEM disk is. Is there anything obvious I'm doing wrong, or does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.

at the expense of looking like a fool being that i very very rarely reinstall windows but...

doesnt it make you push a key before it actually boots via cd?

Thanks both. As the new HDD doesn't have a bootable OS on it yet, the XP installer CD loads up automatically. Once it finishes copying setup files, there's a timer screen that automatically reboots in 5 s or so, with a message that asks you to remove the floppy disk (!) if there is one. I've tried removing the CD at this stage and leaving it in - both times it goes back to the start instead on the next stage if setup.

I'm wondering if its either an issue with the SSD (it's a cheap Kingspec one) or the install media? Customer is having to use machine for a few days so I've put the original HD back in and will have another go when it comes back (or maybe try an install with the SSD caddied in the meantime).

Back