XP from netherlands wont boot

DrewKill

Reaction score
I have a netbook from a customer that got it in the Netherlands. I can't get it to boot. After the BIOS it is just a plain black screen. No warnings, no errors. I've tried fixmbr and fixboot, no luck. I'm running CHDSK on it right now. He said I could go ahead N&P but I'm a little worried about the key working. I ran a XP Pro and home virtual machine and tried his key and it won't work. There is a key on the netbook but there is no text above the key to tell me what OS it is. So I would really like to just fix his windows rather than N & P. Any ideas on how to fix it or worst case find a way to get his key to work.

Thanks

Yes but there is no text above the key no version number no OEM nothing. either it's too faded or it was never there

Slave the drive and use either Produkey or Magic Jellybean to load the hive. From that you can get the Product ID which you can then load into the Technibble Windows Identifier as Methical has suggested so that you can get the version of windows you require.

Does the licence sticker have the licence key visable? or are you using the key which the opertaing system was orginally installed with? To re-install you will need the one from the licence sticker. You can't use the manufacturers mass OEM licence key that the system would have been orginally installed with.

Last edited:
Slave the drive and use either Produkey or Magic Jellybean to load the hive. From that you can get the Product ID which you can then load into the Technibble Windows Identifier as Methical has suggested so that you can get the version of windows you require.

Does the licence sticker have the licence key visable? or are you using the key which the opertaing system was orginally installed with? To re-install you will need the one from the licence sticker. You can't use the manufacturers mass OEM licence key that the system would have been orginally installed with.

I have a key that is clearly readable on a COA sticker on the bottom of the netbook. There is just no text above it saying the version and OEM

On another note I was able to get to the safemode screen. and it says it's XP home. everything else is in Dutch. When I select safe mode(from I can guess) it freezes at is isapnp.sys. I've tried replacing the file from a working copy of windows but no luck.

Right now I'm creating a retail version on a windows install disk using nlite. I'll try it out on a VM and I hope it takes the key. I'll let you know how it turns out. If you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks for your help.

I think in Europe, there are modified versions of windows that have the designation of Windows XP N. Basically it is a result of antitrust action where European consumers have a choice to opt out of things like IE and media player. I believe those would require a special disc that has that differentiated coding to work with his product key. Perhaps our tech friends from Europe could opine on this topic.

On another note I was able to get to the safemode screen. and it says it's XP home. everything else is in Dutch. When I select safe mode(from I can guess) it freezes at is isapnp.sys. I've tried replacing the file from a working copy of windows but no luck.

If you see isapnp.sys on the screen then that is probably the last thing that loaded successfully, have you enabled boot logging and checked the boot log, the log will be named Ntbtlog.txt in the %SystemRoot% folder. Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration or Enable VGA Mode?

Have you tried ERD Commander to load a system restore point or to run a system file check? Have you ran any av's from a live CD or USB drive?

English to Dutch maybe use: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ enable boot logging came up as laat laarsregistreren toe and Safe Mode came up as Veilige Wijze. I have no clue if this is right.

Last edited:
If you see isapnp.sys on the screen then that is probably the last thing that loaded successfully, have you enabled boot logging and checked the boot log, the log will be named Ntbtlog.txt in the %SystemRoot% folder. Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration or Enable VGA Mode?

Have you tried ERD Commander to load a system restore point or to run a system file check? Have you ran any av's from a live CD or USB drive?

English to Dutch maybe use: http://babelfish.yahoo.com/ enable boot logging came up as laat laarsregistreren toe and Safe Mode came up as Veilige Wijze. I have no clue if this is right.

Thanks I was able to fix it. There was a system file that was 0kb named zyphsuwl.sys must likely put there by a virus. I renamed it and now I'm able to get into windows. The customer says he can take care or the virus (he doesn't want to pay me any more for just a netbook). I got him into windows so job done. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks I was able to fix it. There was a system file that was 0kb named zyphsuwl.sys must likely put there by a virus. I renamed it and now I'm able to get into windows. The customer says he can take care or the virus (he doesn't want to pay me any more for just a netbook). I got him into windows so job done. Thanks for the help guys.

I hate people like that........ It's like going to a tier shop and saying here just put my tire on the rim and I will put it on the truck......

Damn wish I'd come across this post earlier. Could have helped you with the Dutch.

So for future reference then...

Europe does have 'special' versions for the exact reason mentioned earlier. They don't differ very much though, only that you can choose your browser in a list.
For reinstallation you do not need a special N disc, the COA is not language or N bound.

In the case where I have a non-familiar language install I just mimic my actions on another (virtual) pc with same os. Piece of cake.

Fwiw Safe mode = Veilige modus ;)

Back