XP Laptop boot loop

So I pulled the drive (SSD) from the XP laptop and plugged it into my tech pc and booted from it, it got passed the windows logo screen and then got a message about activating windows which is probably because it's being detected in a different machine. I am unable to proceed because the keyboard and mouse aren't detected/working, but that wouldn't matter anyways because I'm not trying to run it on my tech PC, just see if it starts and it does. So something is wrong with the laptop is my guess. Unsure how to proceed.

So I pulled the drive (SSD) from the XP laptop and plugged it into my tech pc and booted from it
As if the XP install wasn't effed up enough to begin with.

I don't remember the ramifications since it's been a while since XP was a thing, but booting it in a different machine will make changes to the operating system that aren't pretty. Booting a clone of that drive would be OK, but it sounds like you booted the only copy.

IIRC XP couldn't handle being moved to a different machine and would BSOD when attempted.

I know it was wrong to do this and I only did it out of desperation but, as a workaround (that worked about 40% of the time) I went into Device Manager and uninstalled things like network adaptors, sound cards, wierless adaptors and video cards along with things from the System Devices area before moving the drive.

If you were lucky those things would be detected on the new hardware and it would boot at least into "Safe Mode."

Years ago someone made a Windows 7 vbs script which unloaded specific boot drivers as one of the common reasons for Windows to crash was expecting say Nvidia SATA device vs Intel SATA device etc. So I think at one point for XP there might have been a fix for this too.

Reactions: GTP
Back