Wireless Network Laws (hacking)

Bryce W

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the current wireless network laws concerning accessing unsecured networks.

The law in America is:
"accessing the files on an open network is illegal under both federal and state laws, as is using the Internet connection of an open wireless network."

However, what happens if I am sitting in McDonalds near the window with my cup of coffee, goto log onto the McD wireless network and check my morning email only to accidently connect to the business's across the roads network as it has a stronger connection. Ive suddenly broken the law.

What do you guys think about this issue, should accidently connecting to open networks be allowed (or at least overlooked)? should the law be made void if the network is open?

Knuckles10 said:
What do you guys think of the current wireless network laws concerning accessing unsecured networks.

The law in America is:
"accessing the files on an open network is illegal under both federal and state laws, as is using the Internet connection of an open wireless network."

However, what happens if I am sitting in McDonalds near the window with my cup of coffee, goto log onto the McD wireless network and check my morning email only to accidently connect to the business's across the roads network as it has a stronger connection. Ive suddenly broken the law.

What do you guys think about this issue, should accidently connecting to open networks be allowed (or at least overlooked)? should the law be made void if the network is open?

I assume doing it accidentally is pretty rare, but maybe not. If you got caught, as long as it was obviously a pure accident, I think they would let it slide, considering it was in another place where wireless is for everyone. No big deal.

I don't think the law should be void, since there's so many attacks and it's so easy to do it over open networks, since most of the time if connections do happen somewhere else, it's normally bad.

It easily goes both ways.

i think if it's unsecured it's not illegal.
if you can't secure your network you're being lazy and halfassed.
suing someone because you were lazy or halfassed is moronic.

however, breaking into a secured network should be and is illegal.

I agree with Alex's laws, they seem to make the most sense. However, it isnt likely to happen unless the governments crack down on the wireless device makers to make it easy for the every day person to put some sort of security on their router. Perhaps something in the "Easy Setup" that like:
Power on > Name Device > Connection Type > DHCP > Set Security Key > Reboot > Finish

Back