Windows XP 0x000000C2 BSOD

ClickRight

Reaction score
Ok, client called me late yesterday with an emergency. He needs to work and his laptop is stuck on a blue screen. He said he recently installed a new Lexmark 543dn printer and he noticed his pc was running slow. He opened the task manager and found multiple instances of realplay.exe running. he decided to take it upon himself to run remove-it, but apparently it didn't do anything, he rebooted and got a blue screen.

I have tried:
  • Check and test hard drive: PASS
  • Test Memory (Memtest - 2 pases): PASS
  • Safe mode
  • Last known good config
  • Using WinDbg to find the source of the blue screen (unsuccessfully)
  • Running chkdsk (no issues found)
  • Manually restored the registry to Nov 11: No change
  • Running a virus scan with norman Malware cleaner (in progress...)

Unfortunately it's an ancient HP with a nearly full 160GB drive so the virus scan is taking forever. I really don't want to have to do a repair install on this ancient machine because I know it will take several days with all the updates, etc. as it's so old and slow and my client is waiting. Does anybody have any suggestions before I have to do the last resort?

He opened the task manager and found multiple instances of realplay.exe running. he decided to take it upon himself to run remove-it but apparently it didn't do anything, he rebooted and got a blue screen.

I think the biggest problem is that the user had an issue and then made it worse. The fact he could get the machine running but then after "fixing" it now its dead on a BSOD. If you can do an offline SFC or double check that there is no lexmark printer driver remaining that might help, but in the end your customer might have made a mess that is too much work to fix economically.

I think the biggest problem is that the user had an issue and then made it worse. The fact he could get the machine running but then after "fixing" it now its dead on a BSOD. If you can do an offline SFC or double check that there is no lexmark printer driver remaining that might help, but in the end your customer might have made a mess that is too much work to fix economically.

I wish I could run SFC. Tried from D7 and manually form my bench machine only to receive "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" Yes I agree, what a mess--I can't find the log for remove-it either!

I wish I could run SFC. Tried from D7 and manually form my bench machine only to receive "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" Yes I agree, what a mess--I can't find the log for remove-it either!

Customer made the issue worse. Work with that and bill accordingly. I dont mean be a douchebag about it, but let them know they PROBABLY made it worse and the "only" solution is a reload.

Sure, you could try to be a hero and work through it, but who knows what they really did and what do you do at this point?

2 things... 1. It's my experience that the OS can get very corrupted when the hard drive is very full, most likely due to bad sectors. 2. His trying to fix it and his issues with realplay are probably because it is very full and no space left.

I'd pull what data I could get and maybe loan him a PC with his data, then clone drive, chkdsk to fix file structure, repair OS, etc. But, might not be worth it on this old machine.

I'd uninstall that hoakie remove-it package.
Uninstall the lexmark drivers....go into printers...print server, drivers tab, more thoroughly remove the lexmark...and look for any remaining service that lexmark drivers typically leave.

I'd then shoot for a manual restore of the registry from the snapshot folder...go back a couple of days. Should be fine from there.

And then do a malware scan with some good products.
Run all updates, BIOS flash, drivers, and then attempt to get the latest drivers for that lexmark and get it working.

I'd uninstall that hoakie remove-it package.
Uninstall the lexmark drivers....go into printers...print server, drivers tab, more thoroughly remove the lexmark...and look for any remaining service that lexmark drivers typically leave.

I'd then shoot for a manual restore of the registry from the snapshot folder...go back a couple of days. Should be fine from there.

And then do a malware scan with some good products.
Run all updates, BIOS flash, drivers, and then attempt to get the latest drivers for that lexmark and get it working.

But he is stuck in a BSOD with no work around. Unless I am missing something.

But he is stuck in a BSOD with no work around. Unless I am missing something.

You got it. What's odd is I can get to the login screen for about 10 seconds before the BSOD takes over. I figure the manual registry restore I did from the snapshot folder should have disabled anything new from Lexmark or remove-it starting up at all as their entries would no longer be in the registry?

I haven't seen the details on what happened with safe mode. "I have tried: safe mode".....OK..."What" did you try in safe mode? Did it fail to get to desktop? Can you do safe mode w/command prompt and then manually launch explorer?

Lacking details...just looking to offer something, "unless I'm missing something that you know that isn't in the thread." Thought others were allowed to help, but if you're claiming exclusive rights to be the only helper...you got it.

What's odd is I can get to the login screen for about 10 seconds before the BSOD takes over.

I hate it when there appears to be some hope, but no matter what you do you can't save it. That 10 second login sounds like you have an edge, but if you can't figure out how to make it last longer, you can be on this for a week and still end up with nothing. Ultimately the customer did something to "fix" the machine, but made it worse and regardless of what they said, you really do not know what that is.

Still going with a reload on this one. Not enough hours in a day.......

Lacking details...just looking to offer something, "unless I'm missing something that you know that isn't in the thread." Thought others were allowed to help, but if you're claiming exclusive rights to be the only helper...you got it.

Dude, I'm not jumping on you, but I was just saying the OP claimed to be in a BSOD and cant do the things you were recommending.

Try using Autoruns. It has an option to "Analyse Offline System" which should allow you to stop whatever is kicking in just after you boot...

I haven't seen the details on what happened with safe mode. "I have tried: safe mode".....OK..."What" did you try in safe mode? Did it fail to get to desktop? Can you do safe mode w/command prompt and then manually launch explorer?

I'm sorry for the lack of details. Just work up and not fully running yet. I just tried safe mode with command prompt -- it works! I am going to try a couple things and report back.

Try using Autoruns. It has an option to "Analyse Offline System" which should allow you to stop whatever is kicking in just after you boot...

You know, I have tried that so many times, on so many computers just to have Autoruns crash every single time so I gave up on it. I'm always using the latest version. Does it actually work for you?

You know, I have tried that so many times, on so many computers just to have Autoruns crash every single time so I gave up on it. I'm always using the latest version. Does it actually work for you?

I have had plenty of crashes with it alright but plenty of successes too. I've had luck changing the permissions on drives where Autoruns crashed trying to open the registry.

I have had plenty of crashes with it alright but plenty of successes too. I've had luck changing the permissions on drives where Autoruns crashed trying to open the registry.

Ok good to know, guess I've just had bad luck!

Now I'm having GOOD luck. Got SFC to run... finding lots of issues. Definitely a previous TDL3 infection on here also. Working on it now :)

Back