[TIP] WINDOWS VISTA - UPDATES HANG FIX

Briggsy

Reaction score
WINDOWS VISTA - UPDATES HANG FIX:

Install the following updates in this order:

1. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3191203)
2. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB3205638)
3. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4012583)
4. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4015195)
5. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB4015380)
6. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista (KB4014661).

This applies to x86 and x64 installs and is fully up to date at the time of Microsoft support ending on 11th April 2017.

That will then slash Windows Vista update times from hours / days to approximately 30-45 minutes.

I did the above on a Vista machine that won't install updates, and hasn't since sometime last year. It didn't help. So I deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder; that didn't help either, although there was a lot of activity for a while that made it look like it was going to work. It's been "Checking for updates..." for about 30 hours now. Are there any other tricks I can try?

I did the above on a Vista machine that wouldn't install updates, and hasn't since sometime last year. It didn't help. So I deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder; that didn't help either, although there was a lot of activity for a while that made it look like it was going to work. It's been "Checking for updates..." for about 30 hours now. Are there any other tricks I can try?
Yep, upgrade to a Windows 10 machine. Other than that, Vista isn't supported.

Yep, upgrade to a Windows 10 machine. Other than that, Vista isn't supported.
Thanks for the input, but that's not going to help this customer, or lots of others. I'm not interested in debating the pros and cons of keeping dinosaurs running, working with residential customers who aren't made out of money, etc. What I need at the moment is a way to get Vista to install whatever updates there are, for as long as there are updates for Vista.

Thanks for the input, but that's not going to help this customer, or lots of others. I'm not interested in debating the pros and cons of keeping dinosaurs running, working with residential customers who aren't made out of money, etc. What I need at the moment is a way to get Vista to install whatever updates there are, for as long as there are updates for Vista.
As long as they understand and our aware of the security risk they are at as well as the reduced functionality of most programs including browsers you could try WSUS Offline ESR (Extended Support Release) http://download.wsusoffline.net/
Direct link: http://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline923.zip

April 11, 2017

That's when Vista left extended support, on that day it was no longer safe to be on the Internet.

You can get refurbished machines with Windows 10 licenses for $200, those are the answer if you choose to deal with them for poor people with ancient rigs. Otherwise, you should be aware that the update servers for XP and for Vista have been SHUT DOWN. You cannot get it to update, support has terminated, Microsoft has all but destroyed Windows 7 and Windows 8s's update engines supporting WIndows 10, they don't care about 2000, 2003, XP, or Vista, that's all gone.

Replace the machine, or disconnect it from the Internet. You cannot even get a browser on a Vista box that can work properly anymore.

That's when Vista left extended support, on that day it was no longer safe to be on the Internet.
Having the end user log in as a "Standard" user rather than an "Administrator" will mitigate 100% of all threats.
As long as they understand that Elevated Privileges should only be used for critical maintenance and they keep their AV up-to- date everything should be fine.
The are dozens of alternative browsers that work fine on Vista.

No, it won't. It does mitigate many, but no where near all. UAC on Vista is very easily bypassed, and without a user prompt either. The Sandbox was notoriously weak, and still is.

Neither Chrome nor Firefox support Vista or XP. I know that there are "other" browsers out there but honestly I only care about the ones people actually use. IE on Vista is two versions out of whack, Chrome can be made to work but only if you kick it just right, and firefox flat won't install.

Vista is dead, let it die already.

Oh, and the recent SMBv1 issues need patched manually, or that's there too.

Reactions: GTP
Yes it is, but aren't Vista updates over with? So no new updates will be released.
I'd thought there were still some security updates, but it looks like you're correct. So I guess I'll hit it with WSUS Offline and be done with it.

You cannot even get a browser on a Vista box that can work properly anymore.
I installed the latest Firefox ESR on this Vista box a few days ago, and on an XP machine a few weeks ago. Both work fine.

I'm not really interested in all the scare stories about using an outdated, unsupported OS. This Vista machine had the usual Conduit PUPs and a search hijacker, but otherwise no problems. I know folks who still run XP, and it does what they need to do. Of course I'd recommend machines used for business be upgraded to at least Windows 7; but for the typical home user who only does email and a little web surfing, upgrading is an unnecessary expense if it still does what they need it to do.

Otherwise, you should be aware that the update servers for XP and for Vista have been SHUT DOWN. You cannot get it to update
I'm not sure that's correct unless they did that after april. Just a month ago I did a reinstall of Vista and it downloaded updates from Windows update.

You're right they are still technically active, they're just throttled so bad they may as well be shipping you 3.5" floppies.

And backwoodsman... wow... living up to that nick I see.

Last edited:
Back