Can't install KB2931354 on Windows Vista SP2 32 bit

marcerickson

Reaction score
When done through Windows Update, it fails with error code 80070027. When done with the downloaded patch Windows6.0-KB2931354-x86.msu, it fails with "The following updates were not installed: Security Update for Windows (KB980842)".

To correct the issue, I've tried:

Resolutions in https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/883825

Method 1 - restarting.

Method 2 - Start the computer in safe mode with network support; this computer is connected to a network (not using a modem) and Windows Update won't load in safe mode with network support.

Method 3 - Perform a clean boot of the computer and then install the update.

Method 4 - Temporarily disable spyware and antivirus software.

Method 5 - Temporarily disable any firewalls.

Resolutions in https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/971058

Method 1 - Automatically reset Windows Update components with the Microsoft Fixit download. I've run it multiple times until all problem areas show a green checkmark as being corrected.

Method 2 - Manually reset Windows Update components. All steps were completed successfully except for stopping the appidsvc (step 2 - error was that the service didn't exist), registering dlls (step 6) and installing the latest Windows Update Agent (wuaueng.dll) (step 11 - no standalone download of this is available for Vista but wuaueng.dll is the latest version - 7.6.7600.256).

When registering DLLs, a long list failed to register. Browseui.dll, qmgr.dll, mshtml.dll, and shdocvw.dll failed with error "The module was loaded but the entry point DllRegisterServer was not found" and msxml.dll, gpkcsp.dll, sccbase.dll, slbcsp.dll, initpki.dll, wuaueng1.dll, wucltui.dll, wuweb.dll, muweb.dll, failed with error "The module failed to load".

Resolutions in http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-update/cannot-install-some-windows-updates-error-code/328ab424-a5cf-47bd-9c7d-fcaa942d7631

Method 1 - Download and install the updates manually.

Method 2 - Remove previous versions of .NET Framework and then install all the versions of .NET Framework.

Because of the KB980842 error when trying to patch manually, I`ve also tried looking up that Knowledge Base article. It referenced KB982533 - which had a patch. When I tried to apply Windows6.0-KB982533-x86.msu, the error was `This update does not apply to your system`.

I have also applied Windows6.0-KB947821-v35-x86.msu (System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista). That was recommended as a possible fix in one of the pages about repairing Windows Update - I don`t remember now which one.

At this point Google and I are out of ideas.

This sounds a tad bit, 'end-user'-ish.....(if mistaken, my apologies in advance)

I would try the forums at tomshardware.com or hardocp.com

(This particular forum is sort of for those in the computer business, vice a free help forum for computer owners....)

I have tried Google. Google didn't produce the sites you suggest.

And yes, I am a tech. The problem I posted is on a customer's computer.

Back