Windows 8 OS External Scans

LMCS

Reaction score
HI - Hoping someone can help me out here- When I repair computers - I pull the customers hard drive and attach it to a bench system - I then run a Virus Scan - Malware Scan ect... When trying to scan a Windows 8 OS on a Windows 8 OS bench system - the drive disappears form teh root of C: - At first i thought i had a bad drive - but after re installing the drive in the customer system - boots fine and i have ran the drive manufacture diagnostics local on the system the drive = ok. After re-trying on the bench - the drive shows up when looking through Manage Drives but indicates it's protected. Does anyone know of a way to run Diagnostics on a Windows 8 OS? and why is the drive marked protected?
Hope someone has some thoughts on this - coudl be hard to recover datat from an actual bad drive.....
Thank You

How do you know it is protected? Nothing personal but it sounds like you have not really tried to trouble shoot given the lack of details. A GPT formated disk, which may be what you have, has something like 3 or 4 partitions by default. And some are write protected.

Last edited:
Back