Windows 8 Fresh Install Asus R510C Help

designwebs

Reaction score
I have an Asus R510C laptop and windows 8 does not work. I have tried all the fixes and nothing works.

I called Asus tech support and they tell me they are no longer selling recovery media because they are a green company now. They ask me for the serial number from the bottom of the laptop. They then verify that it is a good number. They tell me in 24 to 48 hours I will receive the license key via e-mail. They then give me a Microsoft tech support number and tell me to call them.

I now have the license key and have been calling Microsoft for 2 days. The tech support number says one and half hour wait to speak with someone because of the windows10 rollout.

Is there anyway I can just download a copy of windows 8 and use the key they gave me or does Microsoft have to make me one which is what the tech from Asus said they would do?

This is crazy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I keep getting on both of the a msg that says This product key cannot be used to install a retail version and This product key did not work check and try again.

I keep getting on both of the a msg that says This product key cannot be used to install a retail version and This product key did not work check and try again.

What have you done, if anything, to trouble shoot this? The machine should have a recovery partition. There are also "generic" download keys you can use. Are you sure this did not have W8 Bing version?

Look at these threads.

https://www.technibble.com/forums/posts/438548/
https://www.technibble.com/forums/threads/updated-w8-x-install-keys.57601/#post-446496

If this system shipped with Windows 8 then you don't need a product key. It is in the BIOS. Just install Windows and it will work.

Thanks folks I got it fixed. I was able to use one of the posts and make a usb bootable windows 8 install. Went off without a hitch.

Glad it all works. I had one client who borked a windows 10 install. Very easy. Just wipe it, toss on 8.1 and then upgrade directly to 10.

Back