windows 8.1 update an no more dual monitor

cstech

Reaction score
So encountered something interesting today wondering if anybody else has come up with a solution.

Client has a HP 110-016 desktop that came pre-loaded with Win8. They have been using it with dual monitors (one VGA and one DVI) and things have been running smooth. Last week it updated to 8.1. (the user says he hit to not update but it did it anyway) After the update there is an issue with the graphics driver. Windows reports that it has shut it off because there is a problem. The most interesting thing is when the computer is booting one monitor will show the splash screen then when it goes to log in the user it switches to the other screen. It seems rather random as to which screen comes up. I have uninstalled the driver and attempted to download from HP the new driver but every time I run the installer it stops and says that it is not the right setup and cannot continue. It will not install any of the drivers for the Intel graphics built into this board. It also does not have a PCI slot or any expansion slots at all so popping in a new card is not an option.

Any thoughts? Right now my suggestion is for them to get an actual workstation not the cheap one from $taple$.

My *easy* fix would be to roll back to Win 8, reinstall original driver & blacklist the update.

I've not attempted this yet, but these instructions say you can use the refresh method to roll back, while keeping your files intact.

http://tinyurl.com/nmk98y7

I have done similar however at this point I do not want to do that yet because of having to reinstall software. I forgot to mention I am not the first tech in this business. One of my competition actually showed up while I was there on site finishing up with them. There was no normal restore point according to him which I knew there wouldn't be after this update. I am thinking of just doing the backup and then do a refresh was hoping to find an actual solution other than "Doctor it hurts when I do this, Doctor: then don't do that" :p Going to be calling HP tomorrow to see if they have seen this issue before for these computers.

Going to be calling HP tomorrow to see if they have seen this issue before for these computers.

Well, good luck on that call. I've always found the manufacturer to be the least helpful of anyone when dealing with any issues. I suppose if you could talk to the right tech you might have a chance, but again, good luck. :rolleyes:

So... Have tried the HP driver and all the ones they have for this model starts the install but then says it is not for the version of windows loaded. (HP says it is the right driver for 8.1) Remove the driver and try again, same result. I have not had access to it to try loading the driver directly from intel but that is the only thing that may work however the other forums I have found had limited results. I have told the client that at this point the two options are nuke and pave back to windows 8 as there are no restore points or any other way to get back without a full "refresh" or look at getting an actual business class desktop with an actual quality graphics card in it. Any other ideas?

Back