Windows 11 is rolling out but not without headaches

Galdorf

Reaction score
Getting reports of failed windows 11 upgrades now the hardware was supported ryzen 5600x systems that i had built got some calls and checked some websites where other people were having same issues.

Might be an AMD thing will have to wait till they bring them in so i can check them out.

I have upgraded to Win11 on my office PC with Ryzen 5600G, no issues. When I built this PC earlier, I manually enabled fTPM in the BIOS.

You think MS would check for these things...unless someone is trying to "force" the installs like many of the "tech news" sites show.....journalism of tech really has gone downhill.

I'm going to upgrade my main test machine to the full version of Windows 11 (previously running the developer preview), but my main machines stay on Windows 10 for the foreseeable future. Until Microsoft allows the taskbar to be moved to the top, it's just not practical for me to upgrade. I really can't function with the taskbar on the bottom. I'd have to re-design literally every workspace I have in order to accommodate the taskbar on the bottom. I know you can manually change the value in the registry to move the taskbar to the top, but I'd rather wait for an officially supported solution.

Until Microsoft allows the taskbar to be moved to the top, it's just not practical for me to upgrade.

Personally I hate the Mac taskbar and don't really get why they did it.
But its easy enough to change back to the Windows 10 Taskbar (which allows you to place it anywhere) by going to Settings > Taskbar > Taskbar Alignment > Left.

@Porthos Did you not read my entire comment. I'm aware of the registry hack but I'm waiting for an official fix by Microsoft. They said they're adding the feature later as it's the most common request in the Feedback app.

I upgraded this machine which is an AMD Ryzen 3200G and all i had to do was enable fTPM in the BIOS. I used the Upgrade Assistant, not through Windows update so i dont know if that makes a difference to what may be causing the failures. Obviously without TPM enabled it wouldnt have offered it to me through windows update

It will be interesting if the very late AMD APU series ever "get on to the list" of allowed processors.

Through most of the, "Can your machine update," checks, the two machines I have with A12-9600P APUs were noted as good to go. Now, with the new checker, it says no dice because the processor is not on the approved list.

Not that I care all that much in particular, as I'll gladly use Windows 10 through EOL. And I won't be rushing out to obtain new hardware just so I can have a Windows 11 machine. That'll happen whenever it happens "naturally" and I feel the need for a new computer.

@britechguy I'm not sure either, my son's brand new Ryzen 5 5600G based system is already bugging him to upgrade. My Business partner's home machine is an I7-8700K that "isn't compatible" but already running Windows 11, but after flipping the PTT switch in his BIOS is back to "being compatible" and started getting updates again immediately.

So we have that 1 datapoint that suggests supporting Win11 on "unsupported" hardware isn't going to fly. But for myself I'm with you, this rig I'm typing on has no reason to be replaced, and given there's a shortage I'm happy to wait until all that junk is behind us to do so.

M.2 NVMEs are nice... but not enough so to warrant a replacement for me.

Back