Windows 10 upgrade

They keep saying "Windows as a service" and that Windows is free for the first year. I hope that doesn't mean a subscription to Windows and start paying after the first year. Also, I have Windows 7 Ultimate.. does that translate to an Ultimate version of 10 or is there no more versioning of that sort? If I upgrade my Windows 7 to 10 - is my W7 license now forever a valid 10 license OR if I need to reload Windows 10 later down the road (after the first year) do I have to purchase? Lots of questions there.

They keep saying "Windows as a service" and that Windows is free for the first year. I hope that doesn't mean a subscription to Windows and start paying after the first year. Also, I have Windows 7 Ultimate.. does that translate to an Ultimate version of 10 or is there no more versioning of that sort? If I upgrade my Windows 7 to 10 - is my W7 license now forever a valid 10 license OR if I need to reload Windows 10 later down the road (after the first year) do I have to purchase? Lots of questions there.

THANK YOU. This is whats bugging me. It sounds like they are trying to sucker people into upgrading to 10 and then if you want to keep it "supported" you are going to have to pay a subscription or you will not get updates/fixes/etc. Will Windows 10 be the last versioned windows and will just running your PC become impossible without a subscription in the future ?

I'm sure this will be discussed deeper by the nerds out there but I think MS is trying to pull a fast one and hoping people don't realize it.

Because it doesn't make any sense for greedy MS to just give away something like this.

I agree, the key phrase that caught my attention was "think of Windows 10 as a service". Which implies to me something you pay for on a yearly or month basis.

When they say free for a year, does that mean the first year of your "subscription" is free for windows 7=8.1 users?

Windows 8 was just a failed attempt for MS to mimic the Android and IOS ecosystem. Own the platform, own the store, shave money off the backs of app/content providers, let them do the work. The windows 8 experiment didn't work because they tryed to convert/force their existing userbase to this model and because the quality of the apps wasn't there.

With the traditional model, Microsoft makes money by selling it to device manufacturers and selling upgrades. Being able to sell upgrades requires Microsoft to constantly improve Windows and innovate to provide a reason for people to pay for an upgrade.

With the Windows as a service model, Microsoft is not necessarily forced to provide upgrades and innovate to keep the cash flowing in. Windows just needs to be good enough to keep people from switching to a competitors platform.

They may well be using the "Free Upgrade" to get people willingly into the Store for their OS.

If it goes this way, what this means for me as a tech, is now having to ask customer for their MS account info, their email address and password because they won't remember their MS account info, or having to call them to retrieve SMS codes. Alot of extra, inconvenient BS. More time being spent with customers getting account information figured out. Not looking forward to it. Already hate it with Office 2013. Doing this with the OS would bring it to a whole new level.

I agree, the key phrase that caught my attention was "think of Windows 10 as a service". Which implies to me something you pay for on a yearly or month basis.

When they say free for a year, does that mean the first year of your "subscription" is free for windows 7=8.1 users?

Windows 8 was just a failed attempt for MS to mimic the Android and IOS ecosystem. Own the platform, own the store, shave money off the backs of app/content providers, let them do the work. The windows 8 experiment didn't work because they tryed to convert/force their existing userbase to this model and because the quality of the apps wasn't there.

With the traditional model, Microsoft makes money by selling it to device manufacturers and selling upgrades. Being able to sell upgrades requires Microsoft to constantly improve Windows and innovate to provide a reason for people to pay for an upgrade.

With the Windows as a service model, Microsoft is not necessarily forced to provide upgrades and innovate to keep the cash flowing in. Windows just needs to be good enough to keep people from switching to a competitors platform.

They may well be using the "Free Upgrade" to get people willingly into the Store for their OS.

If it goes this way, what this means for me as a tech, is now having to ask customer for their MS account info, their email address and password because they won't remember their MS account info, or having to call them to retrieve SMS codes. Alot of extra, inconvenient BS. More time being spent with customers getting account information figured out. Not looking forward to it. Already hate it with Office 2013. Doing this with the OS would bring it to a whole new level.

This would be an asbolute nightmare and I can almost guarantee that alot of end users will be left in the dark because they didn't know or just didnt understand. Subscription wouldn't be the way to go. Hopefully Microsoft will offer more clarification.

Yeah, haven't seen this on Microsoft's website. I only did I five minute scroll through. Seems to me like an attempt to sucker. I'd have to assume once I convert Windows 7 to 10 there might not be any going back. I suggest just sitting back and waiting to find out.

Can you imagine a Windows 10 machine coming in for a virus clean and when you get done doing the basics you go to download MS related patches and updates and it says something like "Requires a MS Happy Good Times membership to update" (phrased kinda like their "Genuine Advantage" nonsense) ? You can't update the customers machine and finish the cleanup or fixes because they don't have a subscription.

If Win10 is going subscription this is going to be a disaster.

I recall some chatter along these lines (subscription model) when Windows 8 was anticipated. It didn't happen then, as it turned out, but how many new Windows 8 users set up their shiny new one with a Microsoft account, often having to open a new account to do so? I've lost count of the number of Windows 8 users who have been amazed that they can use the machine without having to enter a password, by disconnecting to a local account. (Perfectly valid use-case for most domestic users.)

So I can easily imagine that Windows 10 will be a subscription service, especially if the Office experiment works well for MS and they can see the other platforms doing so well out of it. This relentless march to everything as a service is just bonkers, with its complete reliance on too many external factors.

I'm getting old.

Can you imagine a Windows 10 machine coming in for a virus clean and when you get done doing the basics you go to download MS related patches and updates and it says something like "Requires a MS Happy Good Times membership to update" (phrased kinda like their "Genuine Advantage" nonsense) ? You can't update the customers machine and finish the cleanup or fixes because they don't have a subscription.

If Win10 is going subscription this is going to be a disaster.

It's exactly because of scenarios like that I really don't think they will go to subscription. Least I HOPE they don't. That's a freaking nightmare. Rare enough for me to find people that even know their router login info or if they have office CD's. Let alone keeping up with Microsoft Subscription process.

From what I've read so far, I don't think its going subscription.
From here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/about?ocid=WIN10_0_WOL_Hero_Home_Windows-10_Null_01

Free Upgrade Offer
Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.
And the fine print
*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.

Think phone not subscription. Everybody expects free updates to the latest version of iOS or Android for there mobile devices. Microsoft wants ONE windows kernel for all devices from phone to server. One app store for everything. So they want to bring all the current PCs on the market to Win10. It is about making money on the appstore not Windows.

Wow, can''t believe it took 12 posts before someone figured out the free upgrade is for the life of the system (assuming you do it within a year of the official release). That information was available on the MS Win10 website Monday morning....

What happens with Win10 licensing exclusive of the above has not yet been clarified.

Or it may be until the computer dies. Which lets be real, many systems ppl do good to get 3-4 years out of anymore.

ahhhhhh..... LINUX is sounding better and better and better all the time. Unfortunately I'm using W7-64bit Ultimate on my work computer and at home, 7 Pro 64bit. But with WINE....

I'm in my mid 60's and I'm sick & tired of the boys from Redmond shoving their hole-filled crappy software down our throats.

They will find out that 10 is worse than 8.1 and whallah, Windows 20 will be released!

I mean any of them. People bust them up, or the hard drive goes out and they decide to buy a new computer, motherboard failure etc. In other words life of the device may mean as long as the device is functional and working/serviceable. But I've seen newer machines from big box stores come in that are a year or two old and have bad motherboards etc.

Business machines of course last longer but seems like consumer machines don't.

Back