Win8 migrations - are you guys doing anything about Solitaire, etc?

Xander

Banned
Reaction score
Since it's not part of Windows anymore, I've had just about every other upgrader ask "Where's Solitaire/my games?".

Is anybody doing anything to put them back on systems to minimize the shock to folks and, if so, where are you getting the games? I would not mind being able to add that in to my D7II "New Install" setup.

You can download them as apps in Win 8 and 8.1 but there is a different procedure for each version of Win.

I didn't realize this either until a customer asked me where Solitaire was.

Win 8 blew it on so many levels.

You can download them as apps in Win 8 and 8.1 but there is a different procedure for each version of Win.

I didn't realize this either until a customer asked me where Solitaire was.

Win 8 blew it on so many levels.

The M$ world needs to start thinking along those terms. No longer adding OS features via add remove programs. But going to the Windows Store to get what they need.

I haven't had this come up yet, but I do rather like the new versions of Solitare in 8 and 8.1, if only it ran in windowed mode!

Still have customers asking about 3D Space Cadet Pinball though.

I think it's the only reason I sign People up for a Microsoft account. And all the agro that involves, what with verification and stuff.

I installed a new win8.1 this week and that was the first thing that came out of their mouths "do I still have solitaire?" Downloaded from game apps, happy customer. I guess they have a lot of time on their hands. (motel business):D

I'll be damned if I'm going to go through the trouble of hex editing for this. I'm also not fond of the Win8 Apps but that might be the best reference I can give them.

Jimbo, can you confirm that the XP versions do work in Win8?

I'll be damned if I'm going to go through the trouble of hex editing for this. I'm also not fond of the Win8 Apps but that might be the best reference I can give them.

You think someone would have done it by now and posted it on a subtle link. Hehe

Yes, I have done it in 8.1. I don't remember if I had to set compatibility mode (right click the icon and set it) but I don't think I did. But yes, it worked for me. I think they are all in system32 in XP but you have to get the cards.dll from there as well for some of them.

I'm getting this with all my Win 10 installs. My senior clients are climbing the walls without Hearts and Solitaire. Suggestions? The only ones I've seen in the app store so far are terrible and packed with ads.

Back