Win7 Loading Temp Profile (April 2018)

stro

Vendor
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else is seeing this....

Something is going on, bad update or something. Standard temp profile problem where normally you edit the ProfileList to fix.

Saw 8 machines last week, 4 came in within the first hour of turning on the open sign today. All windows 7 machines.

Most of them the standard fix works. But I have seen two machines that kept going to a temp profile after the fix, and after a brand new profile was created -- loading temp profiles on the second boot of a new clean profile.

Also accompanied by errors trying to load the wrong desktop folder on about half of the machines.

Have you deleted the C:\Users\Default folder and replaced it with one from a working machine? After the replacement create a new profile, hope this helps.

I’ve also seen about 10 of these over past two weeks. One common theme is all are using Microsoft Security Essentials. Not ready to say that is the cause yet though. Has been easy enough to fix and have not had repeat issues. On any systems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've seen a few running Windows 10 - thought it was a bad Win 10 update. Haven't seen any with Windows 7 but I don't see Win 7 much any more.

Yes, had about 5-6 machines towards the end of last week, all windows 7 machines, and today a further 4 machines turn up with the same problem happening over the weekend. A couple of machines appeared to sort themselves out with just a reboot of the system which was a little puzzling, and as mentioned above have not been able to put finger on exact cause of the issue.

Had one this morning. Windows 10. Also messed up Adobe programs: Acrobat Pro, Illustrator, HP printers. Had to reinstall those.

Looking like it might be a MSE issue, locking C:\Users\<user>\ntuser.dat for an set amount of time which blocks the user profile service. Speculating that if the user pounces on the login too many times it creates the temp profile. Hearing rumors that it is fixed in a definition update, but no confirmation.

I have 1 out of 6 computers on a domain(2012R2), all of them Windows 7 Pro. The one computer can browse to the Server Via SMB, can ping, I have flushed DNS... Temp profile every time. Still not sure WTF is going on.

Back