Which Application For Music ?

MysteryMan

Reaction score
Which software application do you people use for music ? I have been using Winamp for many years now. I was just curious what other people use. I see many people using Windows Media Player.

As a lightweight player, I've heard people recommend Quintessential Player or MediaPlayerClassic.
For a fully customizable player, Foobar2000.
A run-of-the-mill standard player would be WinAMP 5, or 2.95 if you want to save on resources.
Finally, only as a last resort, Media Player itself.

Personally, I run WinAMP 2.95. Unless it's a really specialized format like UMX (Unreal Mod Track), I use it.

I am a Winamp man myself. Its compact, fast and can play most things.
I am not loyal to Winamp as I havent tried many other music players, but its the best out of those I have tried. Something I would never touch is Windows Media Player, its too sluggish for my liking.

Didnt any one of you try Real Player...This is the software application which i use to hear songs. If I gotta see any movie, i go for the VLC player. The most amazing part of VLC player is that it can play the movie, which is in any format.

RealPlayer is somehting I haven't used for five years, ever since I figured out the thing installs a background spyware application. Since then, if I'm really desperate enough to have to play RM/RA/RAM files, I install the RealAlternative codec instead and let a decent videoplayer take care of it.

Winamp all the way. I use it for all my music and most video's. Sometimes if videos have some odd codecs ill use VLC or DivX, but i try to stick to winamp as much as possible. It's easy, compact, and does what you need it to do.

I am using iTunes because I have an iPod. I used to use winamp but it would crash for no particular reason.

illusion said:
I am using iTunes because I have an iPod. I used to use winamp but it would crash for no particular reason.

Same reason here,i just use Itunes

illusion said:
Thats interesting, I stay away from iTunes due to random total reboots of my computer and stick to Winamp.

If you guys using iTunes use it just to put music on your computer, I hear ephpod works a lot better. I currently use Winamp 2.91 to play my music, but I *just* had a discussion about Foobar2000.

[10:43pm] <newsbox> how many resources does foobar use?
[10:44pm] <newsbox> winamp 2.91 uses like 18mb
[10:45pm] <@tritoch> 4.8mb
[10:46pm] <@tritoch> lots less cpu too

Thus, I am installing Foobar2000 right now.

Yeah I use Ephpod on this computer, but on my computer I haven't got the internet hooked up so I can't take it to my room.

But Ephpod is great because you can take songs of your iPod onto the computer

I use Windows Media Player 11, only because i can't be bothered trying to get used to another. Unless there is a better all in one play, then i might stick with it

I haven't used winamp since that trash they put out called winamp 3 I think it was anyways I use iTunes simply because it sorts my music files out for me and for just play back of audio only I have no issues with it I rip my music with other applications and what not so meh seems to do the job for me some minor errors here and there with crashin on me nothing Im going to worry about

ultimavirtues said:
If you guys using iTunes use it just to put music on your computer, I hear ephpod works a lot better. I currently use Winamp 2.91 to play my music, but I *just* had a discussion about Foobar2000.

[10:43pm] <newsbox> how many resources does foobar use?
[10:44pm] <newsbox> winamp 2.91 uses like 18mb
[10:45pm] <@tritoch> 4.8mb
[10:46pm] <@tritoch> lots less cpu too

Thus, I am installing Foobar2000 right now.
So you can't have 13.2mb(by your clculations) extra for music?
Why dont you use even less, like kb's instead of mb's.
You want to save, use mpg123, I got sometning like 10-15kb mem usage.

If you want to really save space, try looking for a media player written entirely in assembly... not a big chance you'll find it, but once you do you can expect a RAM footprint like what -rus- suggested, several kB at most.

Rus said:
So you can't have 13.2mb(by your clculations) extra for music?
Why dont you use even less, like kb's instead of mb's.
You want to save, use mpg123, I got sometning like 10-15kb mem usage.

Oh, it's not that I can't have that much. It's just that why use more when you can use less with the same features (actually more, since Foobar does gapless where winamp doesn't)? Isn't MPG123 only for Linux and Unix?

Back