[REQUEST] What's the Best Compact Cordless Drill?

Appletax

Reaction score
Searching for the absolute best cordless screwdriver / drill for taking apart electronics, particularly laptops.

It must be very compact, lightweight, not have a big, bulging battery at the bottom, and cannot be long.

There's the Bosch Go (not sure how I feel about it working only when pushing it on the screw).

• Edit: Dremel (owned by Bosch) makes a nearly identical item for cheaper. The push to drill feature is not well liked by some.

There's also the Milwaukee 1/4" Hex. On the cheaper side, there's the SKIL pistol grip screwdriver.

I like Makita but it appears that they no longer have anything as small as the stuff above.

Edit 2: I am liking the Wowstick 1F+ pen screwdriver. Not sure how I will feel about it ergonomically-wise.

I am going to go buy the Menard's Tool Shop precision cordless screwdriver to try as it is right here in town and incredibly cheap. No rechargeable battery included but I have Eneloops :)

Last edited:
Something like:
20181022134137_19657.jpg

Many of them on amazon.

I just use normal screw drivers on laptops and small things. Otherwise I use my Dewalt impact.

Last edited:
Searching for the absolute best cordless screwdriver / drill for taking apart electronics, particularly laptops.

It must be very compact, lightweight, not have a big, bulging battery at the bottom, and cannot be long.

So far, I like the Bosch Go (not sure how I feel about it working only when pushing it on the screw).

There's also the Milwaukee 1/4" Hex. On the cheaper side, there's the SKIL pistol grip screwdriver.

I like Makita but it appears that they no longer have anything as small as the stuff above.

The Bosch "push & go" is a non-starter for me. There are times I need to back out a screw with minimal pressure on it - for example when a just slightly too small screw has been used (don't ask how THAT might happen ;-), and too much pressure just makes it spin loosely, but a light touch backs it out.

Edit 2: I am liking the Wowstick 1F+ pen screwdriver. Not sure how I will feel about it ergonomically-wise.
Thats too expensive. Want the same thing, but cheaper? I use this one and its nearly half the price for the same thing. You just dont get all the crap that comes with the more expensive one. It does take time to get used to it, but it works fine.

I never use any powered tools like this on laptops. Years ago when I was at CompUSA some other techs used electric drivers on laptops. Invariably some positions would get over torqued on re-installation and we were left with trying to repair damaged plastic. Which is a loosing proposition.

Thats too expensive. Want the same thing, but cheaper? I use this one and its nearly half the price for the same thing. You just dont get all the crap that comes with the more expensive one. It does take time to get used to it, but it works fine.

TOTALLY different products. I made a topic about this a while ago, but I bought a crap ton of electric screwdrivers from Amazon and tested them all out, including the Wowstick that took AAA batteries and the rechargeable one. The rechargeable one was nearly twice as powerful. The one that took AAA batteries couldn't take the screws out 90% of the time and didn't have enough power to drive them all the way in at least 50% of the time. It was a piece of crap.

Back