What's everyone doing for "End of Life" for Windows 7 et al?

I have had problems upgrading Windows 7 PC to Windows 10
I've only had an issue with 2 out of over a hundred. The in-place upgrade to v1903 usually works very well, and there's always the option of clean installing and activating with the Windows 7 product key which I do when refurbishing business computers.

I've only had an issue with 2 out of over a hundred. The in-place upgrade to v1903 usually works very well, and there's always the option of clean installing and activating with the Windows 7 product key which I do when refurbishing business computers.

I'm the same, if it's a 3rd gen iSeries or younger, I just slam in the Win10 USB stick and run setup. There are a few systems with odd driver configurations that are better off with a fresh install, but that's only 5-10 odd machines out of almost 500 upgrades I've done in the last 3-4 years.

we service mainly residential, most people don't care.
They listen to me and try to understand, but I notice that even when I dumb it down for them I get that glazed over look.

Have an AMD based laptop in right now, I convinced the customer to upgrade to W10 if, W10 will activate without purchasing it.
It has activated ok, but its running like a dog now.

Even if i explain to the customer that its running slow because of the laptops age, I am sure people will think we are conning them, slow the PC down so they buy another etc.
its a tough sell

I just pulled an ancient Sony VGN-FW280J I had on the shelf out, this is a core 2 era dual core that shipped with Vista. I installed a 40gb ADATA SSD I had laying around, and stuffed in the BIOS Win 10 1903 USB key I carry around...

I fed it an action pack key just to get it to activate, and the stupid thing is online and happy in time for my son to cart it off to church for some service work he's doing tonight.

I'm not sure what else people want from Win10 when this sort of thing is possible.

people wouldn't own cars as old as w7

Really? I don't want to divert the thread but my daily driver* is exactly the same age as Windows XP SP2, and it works perfectly. We're very happy together and I expect to get at least another five or ten years out if it before even considering a replacement.

But then I also have socks older than some of the members here.

*Mitsubishi Pajero, known as the Montero in countries with lots of Spanish speakers where this is considered hilarious.

Last edited:
Really? I don't want to divert the thread but my daily driver* is exactly the same age as Windows XP SP2, and it works perfectly. We're very happy together and I expect to get at least another five or ten years out if it before even considering a replacement.

But then I also have socks older than some of the members here.

*Mitsubishi Pajero, known as the Montero in countries with lots of Spanish speakers where this is considered hilarious.

I own a 1981 Chevy Pickup... and I'm not giving her up for anything. My two daily drivers are both 2008s, a Nissan Altima, and my wife's got a Chrysler Town and Country, both serve us quite well, and Windows 7 is a year YOUNGER than both, since it released in Oct 2009. Though the idea both would are Vista era vehicles is a little disturbing.

But still, I'm with you. Devices that aren't connected to the Internet can age far more gracefully, and heavy equipment like vehicles can last lifetimes if cared for correctly.

I am not doing anything with my personal owned stuff. Migrated to Windows 10 a while ago.

Personally, I run my personal electronic equipment until it is dead dead dead before I buy new stuff.

Case and point my desktop PC from 2011 is an abomination. Thus far it has burned through a power supply, a graphics card, a hard drive, and a case fan. Replaced the hard drives in an array and left it like that for years before ultimately migrating to an SSD. All of these problems were technically a bitch to troubleshoot except the video card but intuition took care of everything else. The video card was a POST beep code - easy. The power supply caused the PC to intermittently go black or simply fail to POST, and intermittent errors are awful. The fan was the worst because it was intermittently noisy, and I had to take it apart and slow down fans and pull power connectors a couple different times to get it to continue acting up when being diagnosed.

I would rather save my money than buy a new computer and totally cringe at spending any money on tech. Case and point, a couple of years ago all I bought was a new WiFi router for 802.1x AC support and IPv6 the prior unit was 9 years old and on its second power adapter.

Last year all I bought was a new color laser printer to replace one squeeking.

Earlier this year, I bought an SSD and upgraded the desktop. Just last month I splurged and bought a new iPad 7th Generation. It has been years, but I cringe at buying products like this because I know Apple will end support in three to five years.

That said, it is more trouble-free than a comparable Android device, and everything is uniform. I use it for things like remote depositing checks.

Early next year, I am going to upgrade either my scanner or LCD. The LCD is 28" and 11 years old... it's a bit blotchy. The scanner is not doing great either. I usually have to lighten up documents a bit, but it works.

Does anyone have suggestions fora great document scanner? I want something I can feed a stack of papers and predominantly deal with business graphics. It's okay if it is $500 because I intend to hold onto it for maybe 10 years like everything else.

Really? I don't want to divert the thread but my daily driver* is exactly the same age as Windows XP SP2, and it works perfectly.

So circa 2004?
At almost 18 years old my daily driver, a first generation Audi S8 (think Ronin) is marginally older, probably about the same age as XP SP1. Unfortunately for me though, I am going to have to admit defeat soon and reserve the old S8 for special occasions, partly due to wanting to preserve what is now an extremely rare car, but mainly due to parts availability. Even regular service items are starting to be discontinued now, which makes it difficult to maintain as a daily driver.

Upgrading from 7 to 10 makes sense so long as the computer has at least a 1st gen i5 and doesn't have any major problems other than a hard drive (since you're going to have to upgrade to an SSD anyway to make it faster than a slug).

In fact, I just "upgraded" an old Gateway PC with a 2nd gen i5. We kept the motherboard, processor, and RAM and replaced everything else, including the case with this beauty:

https://www.thermaltakeusa.com/level-20-mt-argb.html

The thing looks sick, has a nice Corsair power supply, new SSD, etc. The computer is only used for basic internet browsing, paying bills, etc. so there was no need for a Ryzen CPU/motherboard along with DDR4 RAM. If the motherboard fails in the next few years, I will upgrade them to Ryzen and keep everything else. Basically it saved them the expense of a new motherboard/processor/RAM combo and a Windows license (so a total of $500 to $600). They'll have to spend it eventually, but if we can do that later down the road that's fine by them and me.

I've done this many times over the years, and you know what? They are sooooooooo happy when I initially upgrade them, but when it comes time to upgrade the motherboard/processor/RAM they are disappointed because they can't tell a difference. This is a situation when doing an upgrade makes sense.

When it doesn't make sense is when someone is a gamer and/or does other heavy tasks with the computer. They WILL be able to tell the difference between a 2nd gen i5 and a Ryzen CPU. But to a regular person like this, it's like replacing the engine and the brakes when all they have is a break problem. It makes no sense.

Yeah, that SSD is a HUGE quality of life improvement. It's an order of magnitude, or generational change. It's something that's utterly noticeable in every way. But CPU / Mainboard / RAM updates are incremental. As far as an end user is concerned the primary difference between a first gen iSeries, and a 9th gen is power consumption. The performance is improved, but it's not as immediately noticeable unless you game, or push CAD or some other sort of heavy load.

Yeah, that SSD is a HUGE quality of life improvement. It's an order of magnitude, or generational change. It's something that's utterly noticeable in every way. But CPU / Mainboard / RAM updates are incremental. As far as an end user is concerned the primary difference between a first gen iSeries, and a 9th gen is power consumption. The performance is improved, but it's not as immediately noticeable unless you game, or push CAD or some other sort of heavy load.

Yeah when it comes to basics like pulling up a webpage, a 1st gen i5 with an SSD takes about 1.5 seconds. With a 9th gen it might be 1.25 seconds. Add an NVMe SSD and that turns into 1.15 seconds. An end user isn't going to notice any real difference except that their wallet is empty.

Back