What is this connector style called?

britechguy

Reaction score
1711899338454.png

In going through my OneDrive pictures from this day, I have a picture I took of an ancient keyboard that used the pictured connector. This is too large to be the classic PS2 connector (but is clearly the ancestor of that style). I cannot for the life of me remember what this type of connector was called, and it's driving me crazy. I know someone here can put me out of my misery, so I'm asking them to do so!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!

View attachment 16089

In going through my OneDrive pictures from this day, I have a picture I took of an ancient keyboard that used the pictured connector. This is too large to be the classic PS2 connector (but is clearly the ancestor of that style). I cannot for the life of me remember what this type of connector was called, and it's driving me crazy. I know someone here can put me out of my misery, so I'm asking them to do so!

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!
Is it this one? I still have a few of those around. Probably won't have any use for them.Screenshot_20240331_084453.jpg

Hate to say it, but I do remember when those were still fairly common...as in, you'd often still run into them in use.

So do I. You have to remember I'm over 60 years old and received my BSCS in December 1984. It was the name that was eluding me, and we now have it: DIN-5

Now that a number have mentioned it, I probably heard that particular DIN style, in the shown context, referred to as the AT keyboard connector more often than DIN-5.

But my very first job out of college was with a defense contractor, and I was computer support for a group of electrical engineers, so DIN connectors with numbers other than 5, as well as 5, were not uncommon. That feels like a lifetime ago, and almost is. It's more than half a lifetime ago.

Looks like a cable that I use to plug the mics in at church. Of course those are larger and called XLR. This is a DIN plug in your case.

OMG, I knew it was called a DIN connector but didn't know it was a DIN 5.

Makes sense. I haven't seen one of those since about 2004 or 2005

Back