What is the pre-PS2 connector called?

The connector is DIN 5 XT / AT, but the * protocol * is different between an "AT" keyboard and an "XT" keyboard.
Some keyboards have a switch underneath for selecting the correct protocol.
I assume a Win95 keyboard is using the AT protocol... (AT protocol is PS/2 compatible).

Last edited:
PC AT Keyboards aka 5-Pin DIN...

Man, that was the first standard I'm aware of for keyboard interfacing on PCs. Everything up to that point was proprietary.

Even PS/2 was proprietary back then, only Apple really used it.

And I'm typing this with a PS/2 keyboard... probably among the last still in service.

*Edit* @Philippe I had forgotten about that switch! lol

Even PS/2 was proprietary back then, only Apple really used it.
Wut? Lol, the IBM "Personal System 2" was only used on Apple? Proprietary? Lol. PS/2 is the same as AT.. the serial protocol was exactly the same... only the connector was smaller.

EDIT: And apple didn't use PS/2 - they used a proprietary "Apple Desktop Bus" so you had to buy their proprietary keyboards.

Last edited:
Wut? Lol, the IBM "Personal System 2" was only used on Apple? Proprietary? Lol. PS/2 is the same as AT.. the serial protocol was exactly the same... only the connector was smaller.

EDIT: And apple didn't use PS/2 - they used a proprietary "Apple Desktop Bus" so you had to buy their proprietary keyboards.

Yeah, but at the time the PS/2 wasn't common on 3rd party main boards. And the parts to repair them weren't nearly as common.

I know IBM opened the doors on all the platform improvements that came with PS/2, but it took a bit to get it everywhere. Still, it was easier than working on that phone line mess Apple tried with the original MACs... ugh that stupid modular connector. I mean, I use the crap out of that termination type like everyone else but it stunk for keyboards!

Back