Website redesign.

Sorry Dude! I still like the old site better! Having to scroll (yuk) to the bottom to get your contact form is not good imho.:)
I personally only scroll one or two rolls of the wheel (default 3 lines), so if I don't find what I want I'm out!
Much prefer clickable links to scrolling.
There's always the contact button in the top menu that is clickable without scrolling. But I appreciate the honest review though!

Reactions: GTP
There's always the contact button in the top menu that is clickable without scrolling. But I appreciate the honest review though!
Yeah, cheers, but I was trying to look at it as a potential customer as well, (never mind my personal bias!)
If they missed that link, would they scroll to the bottom?

I specifically asked my website designer to try to include everything in only one scroll, or make clickable links to separate pages.
Not just because of my own preference and dislike of scrolling but also on listening to client feedback!;)

Not to beat a dead horse lol, but I was checking out another post with IT documentation and came across a few major players.

http://www.passportalmsp.com/ and
https://www.itglue.com/

Both of which use the new full width parallax scrolling style lol. I've noticed that a lot of major players are using this format, that was one of the attractions for me is it would be viewed as 'not dated' sort of speak. So the big questions is.......
Those who didn't like my new proposed site, do you also not like the two sites mentioned above?
If the answer is you do like them then maybe i'm doing mine wrong but I'd like to know the diff between ours then.

Once again this forum's feedback in an invaluable resource and greatly appreciated!!

Not to beat a dead horse lol, but I was checking out another post with IT documentation and came across a few major players.

Both of which use the new full width parallax scrolling style lol. I've noticed that a lot of major players are using this format, that was one of the attractions for me is it would be viewed as 'not dated' sort of speak. So the big questions is.......
Those who didn't like my new proposed site, do you also not like the two sites mentioned above?
If the answer is you do like them then maybe i'm doing mine wrong but I'd like to know the diff between ours then.

Once again this forum's feedback in an invaluable resource and greatly appreciated!!
I do not like Passportal's site, way too much scrolling to get the needed information. IT Glues is better, but they are both packed with information. They are also going after a completely different market than we are.

So I just checked out the site on my desktop with 23" monitors instead of the craptastic tablet and it looks much better on the desktop, however on the services page there is the bar that lists onsite, in shop and remote that i have to scroll past to get to more info. Can you make those horizontal instead of vertical? Also the testimonials at the bottom take up a lot of space can you shrink the height on that box by 50%? Is it possible to shrink the footer section vertically as well? I think it's a good start, I'm just really against unneeded scrolling. It looks like items are really large just to take up space, but I am no web designer and our site is really plain.......

Reactions: GTP
I do not like Passportal's site, way too much scrolling to get the needed information. IT Glues is better, but they are both packed with information. They are also going after a completely different market than we are.

So I just checked out the site on my desktop with 23" monitors instead of the craptastic tablet and it looks much better on the desktop, however on the services page there is the bar that lists onsite, in shop and remote that i have to scroll past to get to more info. Can you make those horizontal instead of vertical? Also the testimonials at the bottom take up a lot of space can you shrink the height on that box by 50%? Is it possible to shrink the footer section vertically as well? I think it's a good start, I'm just really against unneeded scrolling. It looks like items are really large just to take up space, but I am no web designer and our site is really plain.......

Yeah I hear you man lol. I'm no designer either but I do it myself mainly because well...i'm cheap and I can do it in my spare time. I have talked with a few designers and they explained it to me like this: The newer sites are purposely designed with huge pictures and large text as it creates more of a 'slideshow' feel with larger than life objects that give subliminal messages. Now I understood most of it but sometimes designers get all weird and deep in their craft so who am I to argue lol. I do think they look 'cleaner' I guess. I'm so used to mouse wheel scrolling that to me I didn't even notice to be honest. I was just about ready to scrap the project but I see so many dang sites doing it like this these days that there must be something to it, i'm just not enough of a designer to properly understand what it is I guess. I see what you mean about usability and having all the info on one page etc... i'm just trying to keep in as user friendly as I can but also keep it super modern as I only change my site every 3-5 years or so. So for now i'll keep banging away at it until it is done and then I get a better grasp on which is better as the new one has a long way to go yet.

It does look more modern, I'll give it that. I just don't want to see you give up straight to the point info, because people don't want to search for what they need. I say stick with it and give us some more to look at.

It Glue's site is ok. It has all the relevant information on the top of the page. I mean the reason you go to the site is for quick access to the info.
Passportal? No thank you! I scrolled twice looked at the "slider bar" position and left! Yeah, maybe I'm lazy? I could have grabbed the slider bar and pulled it down, but with age comes our old friend, "Arthur Itis" with his unsteady/unsure fingers and hands and the mouse moving off the bar to end up somewhere else!
As @Slaters Kustum Machines said though, they are targeting different markets.

Any better? I took out most of the larger photos to minimize scrolling. Added a little photo section (will prob at some staff photos to it at some point).

Yeah, that's a lot better. Still with the scrolling but that's just me. I would make the "Home, Services, Pro Support, Contact etc buttons bigger.
I feel the shop pics that unhide are a bit meh, why not just have them shown permanently, or put them in a "carousel?"
But then again, why have them at all? People go to your site to get a quote, price or check out your services. Most probably wouldn't care what your shop or car or staff (who I'm sure are very nice people, no disrespect to you or them!) look like.
Why not replace them with a list of Services you provide, with the words "Residential" and "Business" (under the banner) link to the list further down the page?

BTW, these are my thoughts and opinions only. It's your site Dude - you do what you want with it! ;):D

I feel the shop pics that unhide are a bit meh, why not just have them shown permanently, or put them in a "carousel?"

I like the landing page now. it's good. Gets to the point. The shop picks, though nice, could be omitted and some helpful info added maybe highlighting services available, etc. But ya. looks better without all the bulk

Suggestions noted and appreciated. I keep tweaking it and pushing forward. Hopefully this weekend it will be done. It's hard to make things look decent and user friendly when your not really a web designer lol.

But then again, why have them at all? People go to your site to get a quote, price or check out your services. Most probably wouldn't care what your shop or car or staff (who I'm sure are very nice people, no disrespect to you or them!) look like.
I have to disagree. The shop pics are a huge selling point. They say to any potential customer that here is a professional organisation that is obviously doing very well, happy to spend money on a big, clean, comfortable workshop and is not some back yard pizza tech. If I have a choice between two otherwise similar web sites, I'm going to choose the one that is obviously doing well. My only criticism of the photos is that they're devoid of any shiny, happy people.

If I was a customer looking at various websites, yours would stand out. I liked that you had information that legitimized your business right off the bat.The picture of the car at the top was perfect because it makes it look like you are a successful business. Personally I like the previous website more.

Back