USMTGUI - user migration with USMT - the PC Techs tool.

THX for the new UPC edition and the VHD feature. That is really simple. Just have to remember to select it..

It seems like the log monitoring got a work over too?

So I wanted to pop back into this thread.....
in another thread I commented in, I generally have been against user profile migration tools, for reasons I stated in this thread over here...

I'm on a roll in the past couple of months of migrating clients away from their old on prem servers, into all M365 Biz Prem. I recently had a couple of clients that did have some user software that was pretty....well, kept a lot of special settings and add-ons in various places in the users profile.

I thought I'd give Toms tools a try. Initial attempts...I ran into some issues...specific to...it moved over OneDrive stuff, and Sharepoint stuff. Which..blew up the sync in the new AzureAD user profile.
Now, I tend to think I'm "ahead" of a few other MSPs out there, in that I stage my migrations from on prem servers to 365 in smaller steps, so as not to create too much culture shock to clients. Early on while client still uses the on prem server, I disable folder redirection to the server and get the person onboarded with OneDrive. I also start moving folders/files from the server, into Teams/Sharepoint, so I "sync" those folders also in the users current domain user profile.

I sent Thomas an email with screenshots late on a Friday night as I was doing some migrating, and he replied back rather quickly, we exchange some notes...and he'd created an updated version of his program..I'd try it, and after some back 'n forths by Sunday we had it working quite well. The only other thing I ran into was, if moving the Outlook profile, I kept the OST path pointed to the original location in the users old domain user profile. So he added an option to exclude that now.

IMO...this tool is now worth it. I had tried ForensIT migration tool in the past and it blew up things badly for me.

Back