Upgrade from SBS

GippsWeb

Reaction score
I've got to spin up a new server for a customer who is running an aging SBS server, a 2012 server for rdp and hosted exchange.
Trying to get my head around licensing, there are 10 users on thin clients.
So I'm tthinking we'll need 10 user cals, 10 rdp cals and 10 o365..
Server wise we were going to spin up a hyper v with 2 x vm's, one as dc and the other for rdp use..What server license is going to be the way to go? Or what would you do differently?

Server Standard will license the host, and two guests for production.

Though I'm seriously wondering why a 10 user network has such a server... it seems so overkill. I think I'd just deploy an RDS instance in Azure connected to their O365. Let Azure be AD, and have all that junk in the cloud.

Yeah, not sure why. Overkill, yes for sure. Internet in the area we are in although good while working, can throw up random outages at times. I'd hate to throw all their eggs in the cloud then have a run of outages on the internet link..
I'm going to look into it though, def could be an option for them.

Need more info. What are they running for LOB apps? What is the terminal server for? (I know what a terminal server does...I'm asking...how do they use it?).

Let's see what we can replace by going "cloud" (aka O365/M365). File storage...easy...Teams. Email..each...365. Workstation file storage..aka user libraries...instead of folder redirection to back that up...you have OneDrive backing it up. So...what is the terminal server used for? Quickbooks? Estimating software? EMR? Construction/bidding software? What?

Local server instances will still be popular for a while...Azure AD ain't all that powerful yet, local AD still has ease of management benefits and an on-prem server still fullfills needs the cloud can't satisfy yet. But..need to see how client uses the network.

Just a quick one in case you aren't already aware. You can't run office apps on a terminal server / RDSH using Office365 Business or Business Premium. You need an enterprise subscription such as 365 ProPlus or E3/E5.

Need more info. What are they running for LOB apps? What is the terminal server for? (I know what a terminal server does...I'm asking...how do they use it?).

Let's see what we can replace by going "cloud" (aka O365/M365). File storage...easy...Teams. Email..each...365. Workstation file storage..aka user libraries...instead of folder redirection to back that up...you have OneDrive backing it up. So...what is the terminal server used for? Quickbooks? Estimating software? EMR? Construction/bidding software? What?

It's a rea, they are currently running rest and a couple of custom written programs for most everything else.
They are changing to property me and qbo in the coming months.
The office is currently all thin clients connecting via rdp for office and file storage. They don't use it for much else.
Office is very old, although they have outlook 2016 hosted exchange version.

365 ProPlus or E3/E5 seems to be the most likely option for office.
I'm testing their other programs over the next week or so to see if they'll run on the test server we have spun up before we go any further..

Back