updates taking several days like Windows 7

pcpete

Reaction score
Lately we have had lots of vista computers with the same slow updates, similar to what Windows 7 has been doing for the last year. Any suggestions to fix this?

Also suffering the same issue. I've tried many different ways to get the updates installed, WSUS, manually installing recommended ones that supposedly fix the issue but they still fail.

1 Laptop has been searching now for 48 hours and hasn't found a thing.

I'm out of ideas.

I just dusted off a W8.1 laptop that had not been turned on in months, last update was 9/2014. Tried variations of what was mentioned in various W7 related threads. Basically downloading rollups, taking the computer offline and installing. That even failed in this case. The computer just sat there searching. So I setup automatic updates for 2am, rebooted the computer and left it. Checked the next day and it had updated and automatically found more.

Replace the computer with something that will not loose all support this coming April.
some people have an attachment to their computer and want to fix it. We are a repair company who is not going to argue with someone who wants a repair done, especially when they use it once a week to run firefox and check one or two websites. A new computer is not always the best fit for the client.

We are a repair company who is not going to argue with someone who wants a repair done, especially when they use it once a week to run firefox and check one or two websites.
You must have REAL cheap rates on service.
Lately we have had lots of vista computers with the same slow updates,
I could sell a refurb with 10 on it for the price of those Vista/7 re-installs here.

run firefox and check one or two websites.
Mozilla plans to end mainline support for the Microsoft operating systems Windows XP and Windows Vista with the release of Firefox 53 in March 2017.

This means that Firefox 52 will be the last feature update for those operating systems, as Firefox 53 cannot be installed anymore on those operating systems.

We are a repair company who is not going to argue with someone who wants a repair done
This is a fair point. After advising the customer that replacing the OS or computer is recommended, then you need to give an estimate of the service charge for reinstalling Vista with all updates (maybe double what you charge to reinstall Windows 10) and you could also give them the option of installing Vista without updates.

You must have REAL cheap rates on service.

I could sell a refurb with 10 on it for the price of those Vista/7 re-installs here.

You must sell your hardware to cheap. Just giving you a jab :)

I don't know what is REAL cheap. We offer a clean load of an OS with preserving their data for $159. We sell refurbished Hp Probook 6550b laptops for $339(with a standard 7200rpm 160gb drive), $379(with a new 120gb ssd), $429(with a new 240gb ssd). Then we charge $99 to transfer data and some programs to it. Many clients would prefer to spend $159 to surf the web once or twice a week then to spend 438(plus tax) for the lower price Probook. We give the clients options then let them decide.

these vista computers have been taking about 5 days to do the updates, this is crazy. Yes it is close to end of live, but there are still many units out there that we might need to service. It would be nice if there was some type of fix to this

If I owned a Yugo I would not replace the engine when it died.
To be fair, a Yugo doubles in value when you fill it with fuel.

Just emptying a Yugo's tank practically makes it a write-off.

Regarding the updates: Has anyone seen this with Windows Server 2012 R2 yet?

Got a Windows server that's been powered off for a few months .... seems to be doing the same.

Last edited:
Back